VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-21-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Back up to the back up

I went with 2 Advanced with 2 ADAHRS and then threw a TruTrak (AFS Pilot) in as the ultimate back up. If the EFIS(s) go down or both (!) ADAHRS go TU, I can still level it up and fly a heading whilst I figure out what's next.

Ed Holyoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I guess I should have asked for single, dual, or triple... Another thing I am still rolling around in my head is whether to have a backup flight instrument. For example, the Garmin G5 works as a display if the G3X system goes down, and it can also act as a backup ADAHRS for the G3X displays if the main ADAHRS goes down. So the secondary poll here is whether to burn panel real estate on a backup instrument or to have a dual-screen EFIS with dual ADAHRS. A guy can have too many backups at some point.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I guess I should have asked for single, dual, or triple... Another thing I am still rolling around in my head is whether to have a backup flight instrument. For example, the Garmin G5 works as a display if the G3X system goes down, and it can also act as a backup ADAHRS for the G3X displays if the main ADAHRS goes down. So the secondary poll here is whether to burn panel real estate on a backup instrument or to have a dual-screen EFIS with dual ADAHRS. A guy can have too many backups at some point.
Two EFIS in IMC provides some redundancy, but if one adahrs goes bad, which one is correct. That’s why you need a third device for tie breaker. The G5 serves the tie breaker role very well.

I personally find having a PFD and MFD in front of me, as well as another email 3” EFIS as a tie breaker advantageous. Especially if you want to view charts and plates at the same time.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:57 AM

I'm in the camp that Bob mentioned above (my panel pic is posted earlier in this thread). I have dual adahars, but wanted a steam horizon to break any tie. When I went to look at new and used ones, the price was a killer so I went with a GRT minix for less - internal GPS, internal adahars, internal BU battery, backup AP, BU engine gauges HSI etc etc in a 3" space - not as small as the G5, but more features. In reality I dont need any of the steam gauges now since those are all on the Mini, but ah well, build the plane you want, not what others say you should....
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 10-22-2018 at 10:03 AM.