VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 PM

I'd like some clarification on which nav database is being used and/or displayed on the G3X when flying an external flight plan from, say, a GTN 650. Does the 650 only supply the "magenta line" which is shown on the G3X, overlaid on the G3X's internal nav database, or does all of the displayed data/moving map come from the 650?

In other words, if the nav data is current in the G3X but expired in the 650, and I use the 650 as the external flight plan source, is the nav data displayed on the G3X current?

Heinrich
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
I'd like some clarification on which nav database is being used and/or displayed on the G3X when flying an external flight plan from, say, a GTN 650. Does the 650 only supply the "magenta line" which is shown on the G3X, overlaid on the G3X's internal nav database, or does all of the displayed data/moving map come from the 650?

In other words, if the nav data is current in the G3X but expired in the 650, and I use the 650 as the external flight plan source, is the nav data displayed on the G3X current?
Hello Heinrich,

In fact it's the other way around. The GTN, being the certified navigation source, provides data for both waypoint positions and leg types in the active flight plan. If a particular waypoint is missing in the G3X database, or there is a disagreement about the position of a waypoint between the G3X and GTN, the GTN's version wins. If you think about it, it has to work this way for IFR navigation.

The above only applies when the G3X system is set to use the external flight plan data from the GTN. Of course the G3X system has its own internal navigation database, which can be used for VFR flying. Many people switch navigation sources based on the type of flying they are doing - G3X for VFR, and GTN data displayed on the G3X for IFR.

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-29-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 AM

Great thread!

I've learned about several features I didn't realize my G3X had reading it.

-Dan
Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
The short answer is no, G3X does not push it's internal flight plan to the GTN. You can enter flight plans directly on the GTN or using Garmin Pilot and importing via Connext. Importing a flight plan from Garmin Pilot results in a prompt on the GTN telling you there is a new flight plan import to review. Upon review, you have the option to activate. We never allow the flight plan to be changed on the GTN without some kind of pilot action on the GTN.

If you are flying IFR, you should be using the external navigator for flight planning. This will help keep you proficient using the external navigator which is what will be required for loading/activating approaches, etc. when you really need it.

Thanks,
Brian
Yup. I understand the function of the internal vs external flight plan on the G3X.

My point is that I CAN create/modify a flightplan on an iPad and send it to the GTN after I accept and verify the flight plan on the GTN. I want to take the iPad out of the picture and do the same thing with the G3X. I want to be able to use the full keyboard and big screen to add/modify waypoints, instead of that little sliding keyboard on the GTN650. I know that I would have to accept/verify the plan on the 650 once it's pushed, and that's OK.

My thinking is that other than pushing the flightplan to the GTN and clicking accept on the GTN, the process would be the exact same whether flying VFR or IFR. Otherwise, it seems like I'm losing a lot of the features I have on these 3 gorgeous big screens, and will instead be doing most of my data entry on the still nice but very small single screen of the 650.
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

YouTube.com/GoodPlaneLiving
-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
I want to be able to use the full keyboard and big screen to add/modify waypoints, instead of that little sliding keyboard on the GTN650. I know that I would have to accept/verify the plan on the 650 once it's pushed, and that's OK.
I think the answer is going to be, buy a GTN 750
RV4 - Skyview Sold!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
I think the answer is going to be, buy a GTN 750
Lol... I know you're right! It's hard to justify that extra $5000 for basically a bigger keyboard!

But I have over 2.9 million pixels of screen in the 3 G3Xs, even a 750 would feel small

-- Build Timelapse and Travel Videos . . GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build and Travel Blog
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaBandit View Post
Lol... I know you're right! It's hard to justify that extra $5000 for basically a bigger keyboard!

But I have over 2.9 million pixels of screen in the 3 G3Xs, even a 750 would feel small
you have to respect/admire the decision they are having to make, you just can't let a guy input FPL changes on the experimental equipment that could push to the certified...it's just NOT a good idea, someone will lose their life over bad habits developed from doing this, or worse, you'll put in a fix that isn't in the G3X database and that's also trouble from what it sounds like, unless of course you input it into the GTN FIRST, which is how it is currently setup, so to me, its' a fair and understandable compromise
RV4 - Skyview Sold!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
you have to respect/admire the decision they are having to make, you just can't let a guy input FPL changes on the experimental equipment that could push to the certified...it's just NOT a good idea, someone will lose their life over bad habits developed from doing this, or worse, you'll put in a fix that isn't in the G3X database and that's also trouble from what it sounds like, unless of course you input it into the GTN FIRST, which is how it is currently setup, so to me, its' a fair and understandable compromise
I disagree. I would not, except they do let you push to the GTN from an iPad. If you can push from an non-certified iPad, you should be able to push from a G3X. It just needs to validate what is pushed, and only accept it if it is valid, with a confirmation on the GTN.
Suwanee, GA.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill@fusion4.net View Post
I disagree. I would not, except they do let you push to the GTN from an iPad. If you can push from an non-certified iPad, you should be able to push from a G3X. It just needs to validate what is pushed, and only accept it if it is valid, with a confirmation on the GTN.
EXACTLY!!!!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:36 PM

I just don't understand why people install 12k worth of glass and then want to stare at a cheap apple product instead. Don't get me wrong, my apple stock will soon pay for 12k worth of glass, so I love apple! But I use a nexus lol.