What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R-00001

tyconnell

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what this is?

R-00001-1.jpg

I'm assuming it's a rudder part, given the "R-" nomenclature, and it came with the empennage. I believe it was in the "plates and gussets" bag (don't have the bag number / inventory list in front of me).

I've re-read the construction manual (pp. 6-3 - 6-5), and studied the drawing (DWG 7), and I just don't see it.

I'm past the rudder, and I'm a little concerned I missed something.

Not me too

I don't recall that in my kit. But I learned doing the wings, save these little jewels, you might need them later. I am finishing up the wings and found the templates to drill the tank attach brackets.... about 6 months too late.

Mystery part

Check the inventory. It should have a description for the part.
Call Vans and ask. It may be important.
From the part number, it looks like a newer addition.

Obviously punched for a couple nutplates, and bolts instead of screws by the look of it. That suggests a doubler for a hinge attachment, or tie-down attachment perhaps? My late-2007 era empennage kit did not contain this part.

Last edited:
The holes appear to be for a nutplate.

Possible a reinforcement for the fiberglass parts, or lead counterweight???

Check the inventory. It should have a description for the part.
Call Vans and ask. It may be important.
From the part number, it looks like a newer addition.

A good suggestion, I'll have to look at it later.

That said, it's also not on the list. Maybe not everything is?

The holes appear to be for a nutplate.

Possible a reinforcement for the fiberglass parts, or lead counterweight???

Check the hole spacing, it could be a "two nutplate holder" that replaces the two nuts retaining the rudder lead counterweight.

Weren't some folks having trouble with these nuts coming loose as the lead squished a bit and then had no access to tighten them after assembly?

Gil hit the nail on the head. That is a nutplate strip used to attach the rudder counterweight to the Rudder Tip Rib.

The part is called out in the latest rudder drawing. The manual states "Install the E-614-020 counterweight (see exploded view on DWG 7).

Darn

Well darn, after 10 years I figured all the updates were done. Guess I am old style.

I wonder if it is worth reworking before paint?

The part is called out in the latest rudder drawing. The manual states "Install the E-614-020 counterweight (see exploded view on DWG 7).

I may be blind, but I don't see that on the exploded drawing on my printed plans (kit ordered last summer). Nor do I see it on the PDF plans I ordered prior to that. No matter, if that's what it is, that area is already riveted together. I'm as certain as I can be that I put Loc-tite Blue Threadlocker* on those thinking, at the time, "I'm not getting to these any time soon."

Now the question is: how much of a safety concern is this?

*Aviation grade, of course ;-)

Me no worry

I may be blind, but I don't see that on the exploded drawing on my printed plans (kit ordered last summer). Nor do I see it on the PDF plans I ordered prior to that. No matter, if that's what it is, that area is already riveted together. I'm as certain as I can be that I put Loc-tite Blue Threadlocker* on those thinking, at the time, "I'm not getting to these any time soon."

Now the question is: how much of a safety concern is this?

*Aviation grade, of course ;-)

I am in the same boat. I am not going to worry about it. I figure there are 1000 rv 9s flying with my style of rudder. Just sonething to check every year during condition inspection.

Service Bulletin

If it were a safety issue, wouldn't Vans issue a Service Bulletin? So it must be a modification to the kit.

I don't think Blue Locktight as noted in post #14 will be of any benefit as the loosening of the lead is due to leads' ductility and or lack of resilience. I added some JB weld to the mating surface of mine.

must be very new. I am positive I did not have this part in my 2017 -7 kit. The -9 Rudder happens to be the same as the -7...

Check the hole spacing, it could be a "two nutplate holder" that replaces the two nuts retaining the rudder lead counterweight.

Weren't some folks having trouble with these nuts coming loose as the lead squished a bit and then had no access to tighten them after assembly?

This is my vote, the later lead weights a so soft that proper torque can not be attained on the bolts and stock washers.

You will have to fill the counterbore recesses, I machined an aluminum spacer for it, epoxy would work too. A standard washer is does not have enough surface area and will embed in the lead. I tested all of this. The lead mold is too cold and the lead is not hot enough when poured to make a good solid piece. Tested that too.

Vans just keeps getting better!!

Well darn, after 10 years I figured all the updates were done. Guess I am old style.

I wonder if it is worth reworking before paint?

I would.

Last edited:
Interesting..

Here?s a question I asked on the -14 forum, from following a build log, it showed the part and an install diagram from the 14 plans, but it was not shown on my preview plans nor on the plans changes section of the website. It shows the plans and part.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=159464

Do they ship kits with parts and plans not shown online? (I.e. plans changes online falling behind those sent out with kits?).

Back