What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ISO Smallest Stand Alone NAV

Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
I recently just bought a flying RV-4. Very happy with everything about it, but it is currently only VFR. I would like to make it IFR. To do so, I need to add a VOR/ILS. I was looking at the VAL INS 429, but I dont have room for it in my panel.

I think the only way I can make it work without changing around my panel too much is to add an HSI in place of my DG and put a small stand alone nav, I was hoping to find something about the size of the Dynon COM-25. I want to keep the panel as close to how it is now. I dont want a glass cockpit. I fly a 737 for a living. I like the steam guages. Does anyone know of a small stand alone nav that would be about the size of the dynon?
COM-254x400.jpg

Here is a pic of my panel.
11070525_10206075049494715_2403973700573615684_n.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks

X

BTW, here are some more pics of my new bird!
11074728_10206075048574692_87679278158938913_n.jpg

11054299_10206075048414688_8807033550210270578_n.jpg

Last edited:
Probably not the simplest or cheapest route, but you could consider swapping out your attitude indicator for something like a GRT Mini-x, which you could then connect to a remote Nav unit like the Val 2k4. This would retain the essence of a steam gauge panel, add the benefits of an EFIS, and display your NAV data...

Chris

There has been talk of Dynon creating a Nav radio to match the Comm. No idea when; maybe you can call and ask.

Also, what you have pictured is just the remote head. The actual radio is a bit bigger but can be mounted just about anywhere.

Terra TN200D

This is about the closest you're going to get. Most folks think that the Terra line is all orphans and no one supports them. Not so. Check out terraavionics.com. Also known as Ellison Avionics. The. Terra and the TRI-Nav C can be mounted in two 3 1/8" instrument holes.

Depending on how old you want to go...
The Narco Nav122 is a stand-alone VOR/ILS receiver/indicator that fits in a standard 3 1/8" instrument hole.

As mentioned previously, the VAL INS429 also fits in a standard 3 1/8" instrument hole and is a stand-alone VOR/ILS receiver/indicator which can also do double-duty as a CDI for your GPS receiver.

Next in line is the VAL Nav2000R as noted earlier, a remote radio which, when coupled with a mini EFIS like the GRT Mini, gives you both a terrific update to your steam gauges and integrates a controller and indicator for the Nav2000R. Or course it will do the same duty with an SL30, if you want to dig that deep into your pocket.

Next in line is the VAL Nav2000R as noted earlier, a remote radio which, when coupled with a mini EFIS like the GRT Mini, gives you both a terrific update to your steam gauges and integrates a controller and indicator for the Nav2000R. Or course it will do the same duty with an SL30, if you want to dig that deep into your pocket.

How do you control a remote Nav radio like the Val Nav2000R using a GRT Mini EFIS?

Don't know why I keep fixating on the Mini being able to control the Nav2KR. It will display the nav info, but won't tune or otherwise control the remote nav radio. DOH - my bad! Thanks for providing that reality check, Chris.

How about removing the KLX-135 and fitting a 2nd hand SL-30 with the OBS head in place of the current RMI. Several SL-30s for sale from Europe as we have to get 8.33kHz radios. If you need a panel mount GPS how about a Garmin 155 in place of the KT-76 and a remote mount Trig txpder - although that might start getting a bit expensive. If you need a GPS for the autopilot you could try a (2nd hand) Garmin 496 or similar.

I have been using a Bob Archer nav antenna from Stein in the wing tip for the last 3 years - works very well.

Pete

Back