What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N number change question

BABALU

Well Known Member
I have changed my N # with the FAA and in my approval letter it says that I need to obtain a revised airworthiness cert. from my nearest flight standards district office. I'm assuming that all this entails is a new Certificate with the newly obtained N# and registration info.( Something I can do online or through the mail ) NOT a full on airworthiness inspection, can anyone confirm this? Have have no concerns about my airworthiness just the process if it was more invasive.

Correct.

Last time I did it you needed an approved 8050-64 and had to walk in the old airworthiness certificate to the local FSDO.

Just a paperwork thing.

You can do it by mail as I did. Send a letter requesting the airworthiness certificate be CORRECTED to reflect the new tail number and that no change to the aircraft has been done. Do NOT request an updated or new airworthiness certificate since that will require a new inspection which you do not want. For the FAA it is all about the verbiage.

Like SmilingJack stated, attach a copy of the approved 8050-64 showing the airplane is now registered with the new tail number. It will take about 2 weeks so be patient if you do it this way. Make sure you can track the letter and that somebody at the FAA signs as having received the letter.

:cool:

You will also need new operation limitations since they reference the "N" number.
This should be done as a "replacement". No inspection is required.

As others have stated, I too made an appointment at the local FSDO. Have your approval letter, AW & ops.
They did all the paperwork as I waited

Question for Mel:

Discovered my FSDO had missed my N number by one digit. When I brought it to his attention he said both the A/W cert and registration would need to be reissued, as the N number on both documents had to match. That still the case?

Tony

Question for Mel?
Discovered my FSDO had missed my N number by one digit. When I brought it to his attention he said both the A/W cert and registration would need to be reissued, as the N number on both documents had to match. That still the case?
Tony

The registration and airworthiness certificate MUST match. But if one is correct, I can't imagine why you would have to change both. Just change the incorrect one.

You can do it by mail as I did. Send a letter requesting the airworthiness certificate be CORRECTED to reflect the new tail number and that no change to the aircraft has been done. Do NOT request an updated or new airworthiness certificate since that will require a new inspection which you do not want. For the FAA it is all about the verbiage.

Like SmilingJack stated, attach a copy of the approved 8050-64 showing the airplane is now registered with the new tail number. It will take about 2 weeks so be patient if you do it this way. Make sure you can track the letter and that somebody at the FAA signs as having received the letter.

:cool:

I was able to do it by mail. No problem. Ready to rock n roll.

Back