What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What prop to use

Sensenich 72CKS9-0-60 is a Aluminum metal prop for an O-235.

Sensenich 2EK/C72AE-0 is a Composit prop for an O-235.

Two more choices.

Build light and have fun.

L D, welcome to VAF:D

I would suggest you contact Catto Propeller. http://www.cattoprops.com/

Very popular on RV's
Thanks
I have purchased a mostly built 9a and plan to go to a 9 with it and a 0235 power plant
Catto gave me a quick reply for a prop option.
As I have been told by vans guy Joe Blank it will be like drinking from a fire hose for a while
It will take bit to learn this fourm as well
LD

Thanks for the prop options, has anyone used either on a9 with the 235?

There was a -9A in Hickory, NC with a 108 hp O-235 and it performed well.

I had a Catto on my O-290 and it was great!

With your small engine, do everything you can to "build lightness in", including using a Catto prop.

My -9 was 990 lbs for its first flight. (It has since gained a few pounds, as have I.)

Check out the engine page of my website for some of the issues you might run across.

There was a -9A in Hickory, NC with a 108 hp O-235 and it performed well.

I had a Catto on my O-290 and it was great!

With your small engine, do everything you can to "build lightness in", including using a Catto prop.

My -9 was 990 lbs for its first flight. (It has since gained a few pounds, as have I.)

Check out the engine page of my website for some of the issues you might run across.
Bill
I have been reading your build site with great pleasure until the net stopped working lol
It's great you took so much time and sheared with others.
Had a question on the mechanal fuel pump as your type overlapped and was no readable. What internal part runs the pump (the cam) and why didn't you get the Nas car buddy to just machine your housing?
BTW most of our fam still lives in nc, I ran a turbine aircraft engine repair facility in clt and later moved it to Stanly county airport, I serviced many of the teams king air fleets but know little of these little piston engines.
I will continue to read your site.
Thanks
Yes mine will be a tail dragon as well
LD

Bill
I have been reading your build site with great pleasure until the net stopped workit later. ng lol
It's great you took so much time and sheared with others.
Had a question on the mechanal fuel pump as your type overlapped and was no readable. What internal part runs the pump (the cam) and why didn't you get the Nas car buddy to just machine your housing?
BTW most of our fam still lives in nc, I ran a turbine aircraft engine repair facility in clt and later moved it to Stanly county airport, I serviced many of the teams king air fleets but know little of these little piston engines.
I will continue to read your site.
Thanks
Yes mine will be a tail dragon as well
LD

It is good to know the site is helpful.

I thought about having the case milled but found a used one for $100. Problem solved.

The left mag gear has a cam on it that acts on a push rod that runs in near vertical passageway (hole) on the inside of the accessory case. The rod then pushes on the fuel pump lever.

Your biggest challenge will be to build you plane as light as you can. You can always add weight where you need it. Tip-up taildraggers are the lightest.

Think about using the lightest starter, dual P-mags, small alternator, and a simple panel, electrical system, and interior.

Add dual brakes and an Andair fuel valve.

Put a single 10" SkyView with the Dynon radio, transponder, etc. And you won't need anything else.

Good luck!

You are right about having access to the skilled car builders. One guy offered to make aluminum wing tips for me. I turned him down because I planned on painting it.

Last edited:
Another option would be a MT electric prop. There is a guy on the Lancair forum with a MTV-7F he may be selling. I believe that model is compatible with the o-235.

Catto props

Hi soarandtow, I've got a 9a with a 0235 C2C (115 max power, plated 108 hp). This a/c weighed 893 lb empty, but in the four years since getting it into the air (with a few minor changes) it has crept up to 905 lb. I mention the weight as part of your consideration for your choice of prop. The engine is another part.

The C2C is a low compression engine 6.7-1. It is fitted with duel P-Mags, Rotec TBI, 1 1/2" Vetterman crossover exhaust and a Catto prop.

I've had two Catto props on this 9a, 60" pitch two blade and a 64" pitch 2 blade. The 60" got off the ground about 40' quicker and climbed about 50' pm better but cruising @ 2400 rpm the 64" sat the IAS on 120 kts where the 60" sat the IAS on 118 kts. At that RPM the 64" sat the fuel flow meter at 20 Lph and the 60" at 22 Lph. At altitude when cruising at this IAS, TAS is usually around 140 kts. There is 100 rpm difference between the two props on t/o and climb out.

I now only use the 64" pitch prop.

This may interest you, I live in QLD Australia and I've just returned from a trip to Victoria (850 nm each way). Because I had a good tail wind on the way back I pulled the throttle back to cruise at 115 kts IAS (137 TAS). this resulted in 6.1 hrs for the trip and averaged 17.9 Lph ROP. I believe the awesome economy comes from the Rotec TBI and the duel P-Mags, the 1 1/2" exhaust would also contribute to that!

Hope that is of some help!

Bob

235 L2C

We used a Catto composite two blade prop on a RV9A with Lycoming O-235 L2C 118 hp engine that had around 940 TTSN and some of the data was at follows a:

following phase I data is now available:
After a square two minute each leg track at 5500 feet, (Temp 4 C), the average speed equates to 148.25 knots which works out to be 170.49 MPH.
One minute climb at 65 F and Vy = 87 MPH was 1075 feet per minute with aircraft weight at 1400 pounds.
Stall at Vso = 45 MPH and stall at Vs = 49 MPH
Fuel flow is between 5.5 to 6.0 GPH

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A
Dues paid

We used a Catto composite two blade prop on a RV9A with Lycoming O-235 L2C 118 hp

What is the pitch, please??

RetiredRacer, thanks for all the info. I plan on building an RV-9 when funds allow with the O-235 and there seems to be little actual data available. Too many with the O-320 (or even bigger!!).

As mentioned the Catto Props are excellent....I flew one for ten years.

But you will also want to do some thorough weight and balance evaluation to see if a little extra weight on the nose will improve CG and baggage load capacity.

The extra weight of a Sensi could be very useful and I don't think there would be a significant performance difference.

Good Luck with your choice.

Glenn Wilkinson

Back