What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

An RVers guide to flying to MLB games

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Now that another baseball season is here, I'm once again considering flying to cities to take in a few games -- mostly games involving the Cleveland Indians.

The trouble is. I don't know what cities those are and what airports would be best to fly into and I've always thoughy it would be a good idea to get a list together with expertise on how to do this.

For example, if you wanted to fly in to watch the Minnesota Twins at Target Field, I'd probably recommend flying into KSTP, walking across the Lafayette Bridge and taking a Green Line train to Target Field from the new St. Paul Saints stadium (you could also take in a Saints game while here).

If I wanted to see the Tribe in Cleveland, I'd fly to Burke Lakefront and walk to Progressive Field (this is a trip I've always wanted to make and hope to do it this year).

If I wanted to see the Red Sox at Fenway, I'm guess Norwood would be the closest GA airport (or maybe Beverly), but I'm unaware of any public transportation to get into town and, of course, public transit is almost a necessity.

Beyond that, I'm clueless. Is Chicago south side viable without flying into Midway (I wouldn't have a clue how to fly VFR into Midway). Would Gary be a better option. How would I connect?

What about if I wanted to go to Wrigley? Or Kansas City? Or Detroit?

Obviously, I presume there are some place where there's just no public transportation easily accessible but perhaps you've done this in the past and you can share your expertise on individual cities.

I live in Chicago. Still GA activity at Midway, I believe. It is Class C. You come in under the Class B tiers. Midway would be your best bet for Wrigley as well. The CTA runs a line directly to Midway. You'll need to take that downtown and connect to different trains for Wrigley or US Cell.

Larry

Last edited:
Sticky this!

I LOVE this! Do I see a book idea in the making? At a minimum, VAF should create a sticky for this.

This is EXACTLY the type of mission(s) I hope to spend some flying time on!

I'm assuming there are two options for my Milwaukee Brewers: Waukesha (UES) or Timmerman (MWC)

I'll have to do some research on the transportation details to the ball-park from these location, but I'm pretty sure it can be done!

For KC

I'd suggest Lee's Summit. KLXT. It's a "supposed" 20 minute drive from there to Kauffman Stadium. Trutrak Andrew flies in there reasonably often and speaks highly of it.

Google maps is pretty good at figuring out public transportation options.
For example, search for "Gillespie Field, El Cajon, CA to PETCO Park, San Diego, CA". Then click on the bus/train icon and it will tell you how to use public transportation to get to your destination. In this case, you can pick up the Green trolley line, transfer to the Orange trolley line and be at the ballpark in about an hour.

You can do the same for Montgomery Field and Brown Field. Both have bus/trolley options to get you to the ballpark.

St. Louis Cardinals

Several years ago I flew into St. Louis Downtown airport (KCPS) which is east of the RIVER and thus in Illinois. It was easy to talk to St. Louis Approach and then go to the tower frequency, but if you wanted to stay under the Class B airspace and then talk to the tower (Class D) you could easily do that, too.

We paid a taxi (taxi cab) both ways which was pricey but really convenient. We used Ideal Aviation, or their predecessor, and they were very nice.

Things may have changed and there may be better ways to get to a Cardinals game, but that's the way I did it. Probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Great idea, Bob. Let's keep this thread going.

P.S. Using Bruce's suggestion above, Google Maps does indicate St. Louis Metro transportation is available at this airport, so if/when I go again, I would be seeking recommendations from others as to how desirable that option would be. Us country boys ain't used to riding buses with strangers. :-/

Last edited:
TB Rays

If for any reason somebody wanted to catch a game at Tropicana Field in St Pete (not a great stadium, IMO), Albert Whitted in downtown is a long walk or very short cab ride from the stadium.

Elsewhere in the area, Steinbrenner Field, where the Yankees have spring training, is right next to Tampa International.

The Phillies have spring training here in Clearwater at a very nice stadium that is also a short cab ride from KCLW.

Chris

Coors Field Denver

It looks like you can fly into Rocky Mountain Metro (BJC) and take two bus rides and a little walking and end up at Coors Field in about an hour according to Google.

Local option 1:

Fly into College Park, MD. Walk, Green Line Metro, walk for 45 minutes and you will be at Nationals Park.

KCGS is in the DC FRZ, requires a PIN, which is now possible to get remotely, depending on the cooperation of your local FSDO.

Local option 2:

Fly in to KBWI (pricey FBO) and take a 40 minute Light Rail ride directly to Orioles Park.

Less expensive / restrictive airports available for both venues available if you want to rent a car.

Last edited:
Fenway

You can fly into Bedford (Hanscom). From there, MBTA bus #76 takes you to Alewife station, where you can get the Red Line train. Connect in the city to the Green Line to get to Fenway in Kenmore Square.

Back