What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install F-804N Spar Channel Cap Now?

William Slaughter

Well Known Member
Trying to finish up my wiring, and have the right side switch console assembled, wired, and ready to install, but I need the spar channel cap in place in order to finish installation of the switch console. I cannot see any obvious reason not to go ahead and pop rivet the spar channel cap in place at this time, but I want to make sure there's not a "GOTHCA" lurking further ahead. Thanks in advance.

Install F-804N Spar Channel Cap Now? (RV8 QB)

The original question was never answered and I have the same question except for the left console so I can get the Throttle Quadrant installed and the engine controls connected FWF. (RV8 QB)

After the manual says to do the initial drilling and prep, that they "won't be installed until much later". The manual never refers to them again.

My wings have already been on and off and all the other fuse / cabin work has been done.

I checked with Vans Support and Gus said that installing the channel caps now would be OK. He did mention that rear throttle would need a hole for the pushrod in that area if I were to do rear throttle (I'm not).

I can't see why I could possibly need to do anything else in that area without them in place.

Anyone for any reason had an issue with installing the the channel caps too early?

If that is the part that that gets pop riveted on the sides, make sure your canopy roll over bar is bolted on. Once you rivet it on, its very difficult to bolt on the roll over bar. Also make sure your side skins are all riveted. Ask me how I know...

I couldn't find when in the plans to rivet it on, so I took it upon my self to rivet it. I regretted that decision pretty quickly. I wound up having to grind down a wrench to get it to fit and it took me about 3 hours to install the 3 bolts on each side. Im also missing a rivet on each skin, I haven't decided what I want to do there, probably just put put a countersunk pop rivet in.

Anyway, I hope you learn from my mistake.

Almost a Gotcha

Turns out I hadn't run my flap motor or Strobe PS wires along my manual trim cable and tail nav wires. It could be done after the channel cap is installed but it would require a fish tape and take 3 times as long.

Back