Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
I was just told to lower mine to 1100. This got rid of the mode 3A problem, but I still have "Baro Alt". Will take the advice on calling ATC for an actual altitude vs what my 327 is saying. We'll see.
Told by whom? uAvionix?

I may be wrong but I think in this case that "baro altitude" is pressure altitude where the other choice is GPS or geometric altitude.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 09-15-2019, 03:13 PM

Default KT76A same...threshold set to 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
Before I can get a squawk to show on monitor.
I too have had to move to Threshold setting of 1100 to get squawk and pressure attitude on the monitor page. Have flown several times now and seems reliable, set up was a breeze once I found out how to access the advanced settings (touch the logo), which I could not find in either the on-line or provided documentation.

Anyone know what this setting actually does and whether there is any consequence to “too low” of a threshold setting? Asked that on a support email and did not get a response.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevansrv7a View Post
Told by whom? uAvionix?

I may be wrong but I think in this case that "baro altitude" is pressure altitude where the other choice is GPS or geometric altitude.
Yes, by uAvionix.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:08 PM

Default ADSB-out Report... Uavionix Echo

Moved my "Transponder Threshold" down to 1300 in Advanced Settings, and it passed with flying colors today on the flight test. I also made my flight within the Mode C veil of DEN 1000' higher than my previous 2 flights... this might have helped too but can't be sure.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:44 AM

Exclamation Echo

I have had the installation since March and I always get baro failure from my home airport, Fredericksburg, Tx. I can get in on the ground but out fails. We live in a black hole. I depart an airport in class B and it will pass every time. It also fails at low altitude in Wyoming and Montana. This isn’t a perfect system from the governments installations.
RV6A owner
L19 sold
ATP/FE/CFI 10 Type Ratings.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:32 AM

Uavionics has software updates available that they told me were to fix bugs related to baro reporting issues among other things.
I was having occasional ghosting issues that the updates seem to have resolved.
RV8 (2)(sold)
RV12 (sold)
RV3B (flying)
Legend Cub
Old 09-19-2019, 08:10 AM

Default Antenna location - is 2 feet enough?

I bought a Uavionix Echo and will get my avionics guy to install it in a few weeks. My transponder antenna is just about centered under the belly, and my radio antenna is about 5 ft back from that on the belly under the area where the rear bulkhead is. I don't really have an area that is 3 feet away from the antennas on the belly of my 6A for the ADS-B antenna. The wing root fairing is 2 feet away from the transponder antenna.. is this the best place? Is 2 feet away good enough? or should I just plan on trying to install in the wing inspection cover further out the wing?
Old 09-20-2019, 12:00 PM

Default my EchoUAT installation and test experience

I installed an EchoUAT/SkyFYX in my RV-3 early this year. My transponder antenna is located on the belly just aft of the baggage compartment. Comm antenna is under the pilot seat. Following the uAvionix install instructions, I put the ADSB monopole antenna in the aft lower tailcone, and ran a 100" coax cable to the baggage compartment to the EchoUAT, which is mounted on the battery box just behind the pilot seat. I mounted the SkyFYX fwd of the instrument panel under the canopy for unobstructed sky view - it's white so I covered it with a black cloth to cut glare.

I have an old King KT-76A transponder, so I needed to choose a "transponder threshold" value in the EchoUAT setup. The uAvionix support person explained that choosing a number for this is similar to tuning an old radio to an AM/FM station: one point in the range will be the best for your installation. After much experimentation (and "red flags" on my PAPR reports), 1100 turned out to be my best number.

My home airport has an ADSB ground station, so testing my installation involved flying increasing distances away, then getting the PAPR report later on and seeing if there were any "red flags". After a series of flights at increasing distances (and adjusting the transponder threshold value accordingly), I got over the horizon and with a mountain range inbetween me and the closest ground station - I'll get non-zero MCF numbers ("Maximum Consecutive Failures"), but not enough to create red-flags on the reports.

My RV-3 cockpit is pretty snug, and panel space is limited, so for ADSB-IN, I place my iPhone on the canopy rail and bring up ForeFlight. In the "maps" feature of the display, one can see other ADSB-equipped airplanes. Zooming in, aircraft nearby are easy to notice. One needs to be judicious in dividing time between looking at the display and looking out the window, but in the few months I've had the installation, I've turned off course several times when the ADSB-IN flashed its warning messages of another aircraft on converging course. Each time, once I got eyes on them, I got an "aha, there they are!" experience. A couple times, I've had radio exchanges with other pilots only referencing our positions via ADSB. In saturated environments, such as in a busy traffic pattern, its best to keep attention looking out the window, but brief glances at the display are useful.

- Steven
(1300 RV hours - another one yesterday!)

(The above description is highly specific to MY airplane. Your ADSB installation and experience will be highly idiosyncratic to YOUR airplane. The uAvionix technical support is the best source of information for the EchoUAT installation. I offer the above to the community merely as my experience in becoming ADSB compliant.)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilby View Post
I bought a Uavionix Echo and will get my avionics guy to install it in a few weeks. My transponder antenna is just about centered under the belly, and my radio antenna is about 5 ft back from that on the belly under the area where the rear bulkhead is. I don't really have an area that is 3 feet away from the antennas on the belly of my 6A for the ADS-B antenna. The wing root fairing is 2 feet away from the transponder antenna.. is this the best place? Is 2 feet away good enough? or should I just plan on trying to install in the wing inspection cover further out the wing?
Brian I am in same situation as you and all has been fine. Transponder right side under rudder pedals, one of two com antennas under seat center line, ADSB antenna just aft of rear baggage bulkhead right side, comm2 aft of ADSB centerline. I may be over 2 but surely not 3 feet from comm antennas. About 7 ft from transponder .
Old 09-22-2019, 08:16 PM

Default uAvionix Echo finally passed

Went out flying today, two legs---to test codes in my uAvionix Echo. I had thought one had to put in codes (on the uAvionix Echo App on my smart phone) in multiples of 100's, ie, 1200 to 1100.---then I was told otherwise) ) Well I put in either 1181 or 1186---woulda been nice if I had written it down---and that passed with a .07% fail (no red box) on the Baro Alt, and zero fail on my Mode 3A. On the way home, I had put in 1188, and while that number is very close to the 1181, or 1186, it failed. Gave me a 2.14% fail on the Baro Alt, and zero on the Mode 3A.

Last edited by donaziza : 09-22-2019 at 08:57 PM.