- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Default Back Seat Storage Pouch or something

I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a storage pouch for the back seater, something like on the back of an airline seat for holding a phone, sick sacs, etc. Any idea if there are any out there on the market already? Has anyone mounted something to the back of the front seat? Thanks for any advice and help! - Jeff
Old 09-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Consider cutting a hole in the right rear arm rest to floor cover plate. Add a bulkhead so that whatever is put in there does not get to the flap arm. Do not do this on the left side as the flap motor lives in there.

The other standard is a flat plate across the ribs forward of the right rear arm rest to floor plate. The plate I use is 6” tall made of 0.040” aluminum. I add nut plates on the forward rib, and use the same screws on the arm rest plate. You can’t do this one the left side if you have a rear throttle installed.

Carl
Old 09-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfTheBase View Post
I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a storage pouch for the back seater, something like on the back of an airline seat for holding a phone, sick sacs, etc. Any idea if there are any out there on the market already? Has anyone mounted something to the back of the front seat? Thanks for any advice and help! - Jeff
Check out the pockets that Bruce Eicher made:
https://www.kitplanes.com/full-inverted-pocket-system/

Making some are in my future plans
http://www.mykitlog.com/AaronMiller/
Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 PM

Jeff,

I made a pouch out of the same material I used for my seats. Which were made out of “Strong Parachute pack material”.

We have pocket for a cell phone, a pocket for sick sacks and other little items like USB charger cable, etc....

I used large headed pop rivets. They are probably strong enough to use on a tank! But, my thought was to use large heads to insure the material wouldn't rip around the holes.

9 years and still looks great!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 PM

John, where did you mount it, on the back of the front seat?
Old 09-17-2019, 07:15 PM

Looks like a good winter project Aaron, thanks for the link.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfTheBase View Post
John, where did you mount it, on the back of the front seat?
Yes. PM me your email address and I will send you some pic’s.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Carl, I'll look at this and compare it to the other ideas. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:26 PM

A little info on why this request. I bought the plane in July and flew it into Oshkosh with my 16 year old son. When we got to our camp site he tells me "dad, I lost my phone". No problem son, lets just look around the seats, it couldn't have gone too far. "No dad, I really lost my phone". Turns out, he had laid it across the front seat support where it meets the canopy rail. When I slid the canopy open he watched it bounce out of plane and into the grass as we hit a bump. We walked all over looking for it, and of course he had it in airplane mode so we couldn't call it and listen for the ring tone. He now has a new phone (which he was wanting anyway) and I have a project to do on the plane!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:42 PM

I call this the "Purse Box", but the wife is going to have to downsize...
Sized to clear the rear stick and mount to the back of the standard front seatback.

the rest of the mounting hardware stowed until I'm ready to mount it:

The back with the angle to clear the seatback ridges. A piece of hinge will mount to this with the mate on the seatback. The lower angle will be final fit later. Mounting via hinges allows easy removal:

It was partially built with components from a mapbox kit that I am not going to use. It was a couple evenings to put together. Hope it works out and provides some additional storage for the rear seater. I'm also getting some side pockets for the the sidewall/floor area below the mid-cabin brace with my seats. I like lots of places to stash stuff and in the 8 your have to get creative. My buddy has some aluminum pockets in the canopy frame that he keeps sectionals in. Between the skirt and the vertical brace tubes. Nice use of wasted space.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....tail kit done, slow-build wing done, slow-build fuselage in progress.