Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 08:22 AM

NEVER TURN BACK! Just a few months ago at my home airport an inst and student lost an engine and crashed. Student eventually passed and the inst is still in a special neuro unit and I'm told has a very poor prognosis. There were two witnesses to the crash and each one disagrees with the other. One said the aircraft turned back after being north of the field over a housing area just after take off. The other witness said the aircraft appeared to have snapped to the left after stalling before it reached the departure end of the runway. The sad thing is in either scerino the aircraft stalled causing the end result.

When Vic mentioned the temptation to turn back and how strong it was, this must be what happed here. The inst was very experienced. I've never lost engine after takeoff but Vic's story and what happed here has cemented inside my brain to land straight ahead or nearly straight ahead. I read an article once that said at the time of an engine failure on takeoff we should think of our pretty airplanes as an enemy that's betrayed us and that our thinking and goals now are to walk away from the landing/crash and not worry about the plane.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$
Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 AM

Here's this fighter pilot's approach for using angle of attack to managing energy engine-out in 2500 words or less: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e1e...ew?usp=sharing. The paper contains hyperlinks to demonstration and test videos as well as a couple of "SFO" or simulated flame out patterns that I practice regularly to help maintain proficiency.

Please keep in mind that I'm not advocating for or against maneuvering prior to a forced landing. Here is a short briefing and demonstration of a turn back from relatively low altitude after takeoff (250' AGL) using AOA as the primary reference for energy: https://youtu.be/U1T-ePy9e94. The minimum altitude for maneuvering (in this example, turning back to the departure runway) depends on aircraft performance and configuration, pilot proficiency and ambient conditions. The nature of the aural AOA system in my airplane and the fact that AOA doesn't care about G load, gross weight or density altitude makes this drill relatively straight forward without any cockpit math, other than a minimum altitude at which to begin the maneuver. Maneuver as desired and maintain ONSPEED AOA (using pitch). The AOA system you hear in the video is identical to one that we used to have in one of the fighters I've flown.

I've had four engine failures in my career, two in single-engine pistons when I was a young CFI and two in multi engined jet fighters, no bent metal; but I've been fortunate. I would advocate for education (the book in the original post in this thread or the webinar in the post below), regular practice and familiarity with the glide characteristics of the airplane you are currently flying. We have additional training and reference resources on our website (flyONSPEED.org) if you are interested in learning more about the AOA system in my airplane or the handling techniques employed when flying AOA, and the information in this post is also discussed in the transition training syllabus available in the sticky at the top of the safety page. We update both regularly.

Fly Safe,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 09-23-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:52 AM

Default EAA: Avoid Loss of Control on Take Off

The EAA has an excellent series of webinars discussing the topic of how to avoid the loss of control. The webinar video is titled " Avoiding Loss of Control: Inflight During Takeoff".

Webinar introduction:
"International Aerobatic Club Member and Certified Flight Instructor Gordon Penner discusses decision making in takeoff phase, from the beginning of the takeoff roll to the point where a safe return altitude is reached."

This video is about 1hr 40 minutes long but you have to be an EAA member to view it.
https://eaa.org/Videos/Webinars/3127476363001

A screenshot excerpt from the webinar:

Donation paid through 2019