- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > GPS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
Any idea when/if Garmin will release a Nav/Com/ ADSB box.

I just added a GNX375 and love it. I have access to another plane in need of upgrade and there’s minimal panel real estate and it needs com as well. Anyways thanks Garmin the GNX375 is awesome
Hello NewbRVator,

Glad to hear you like your GNX 375!

As you know the GNX 375 (10.85") and GNC 355 (11.23") are larger (longer) than the GPS 175 (6.58"), so adding additional functionality isn't without some penalty.

There is also the practicality of using a 2" vertical display to view/control more than 2 devices.

While we can't comment on products which may or may not be in development, it is safe to say that these dual-device units are probably optimum for the 2" series.
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo64 View Post
Steve:

Im planning to make a new panel for my RV-6A, based almost entirely on Garmin G3X architecture. I already have 2 x G5s , a GMU11 magnetometer, and plan to install 2XGSA28 servos, 1x GMC507 control, 1X G3X display and adhars, and in the future some Garmin Compatible Radio (GTR200) and IFR Nav (GSP175).

In case of an electrical failure, I plan to use my G5 connected to other air source pitot and static, (back up battery) for an emergency flight instrument.

My question is related to a possible catastrophic failure of the CAN Bus (suppose a short or ground on one of the Can signals). In this case, Is the G5 still going to work? or the CAN bus short circuit will damage my G5 and could not be using it as a backup flight instrument ?

Moreover, is there any recommendation on the CAN Bus order of "bus hanging" for my G5 ? (for example should it be the last on the chain near the termination resistor ?).

Thanks !
Regards,
Maximo Lema.
RV-6A
Hello Maximo,

The G5 will continue to operate just fine as an independent backup primary flight instrument should there be a CAN bus short or other failure.

A G5 may be placed anywhere on the CAN bus. No one place is better than another.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Maximo,

The G5 will continue to operate just fine as an independent backup primary flight instrument should there be a CAN bus short or other failure.

A G5 may be placed anywhere on the CAN bus. No one place is better than another.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks Steve:
That is a very good news to know for my planned new system.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo64 View Post
Steve:
My question is related to a possible catastrophic failure of the CAN Bus (suppose a short or ground on one of the Can signals). In this case, Is the G5 still going to work? or the CAN bus short circuit will damage my G5 and could not be using it as a backup flight instrument ?
As per CAN bus specs if one side (CAN H or CAN L) failed (shorted to GND or cut) entire CAN bus should switch to protected single-wire mode.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Question

Hi Steve,

Just got a new GNX 375 yesterday and have 2 simple questions:

Is there a dedicated backplate on the tray like legacy products? If so, I'm not seeing it. Included in the box (looking like it was thrown in as an afterthought) was a small backplate that has no relation to the connector config on the box. This one is PN 011-043430-00.

Which leads me to question 2:. Went to the Garmin site to download the installation manual (to figure out the backplate situation), and I can't find it. Where can I get this manual so that I can install my expensive new box?

Thanks
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale
Old 09-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...

Toobuilder, u godda send em an email with your tail number for the IM.

Received my 375 a couple of days ago, install will take place in a couple of months, weather still too nice here 👍🏻

DC

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner
Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
Hi Steve,

Just got a new GNX 375 yesterday and have 2 simple questions:

Is there a dedicated backplate on the tray like legacy products? If so, I'm not seeing it. Included in the box (looking like it was thrown in as an afterthought) was a small backplate that has no relation to the connector config on the box. This one is PN 011-043430-00.

Which leads me to question 2:. Went to the Garmin site to download the installation manual (to figure out the backplate situation), and I can't find it. Where can I get this manual so that I can install my expensive new box?

Thanks
Hello Michael,

Yes, there is a backplate that holds the 2 coax connectors and the 2 D-sub connectors. It is shown in the exploded diagram for the mounting rack assembly in the GNX 375 installation manual.

A Garmin dealer selling these products direct to EAB installers will provide the necessary materials and guidance, including the installation manual, needed by the installer.

Please contact us directly should you have any trouble receiving this information from your dealer.

Sorry that you had a rocky start, but you are going to love the GNX 375!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Who has the installation manual for the GNX375? Just received mine today and there is only a pilots guide included. I cannot find anywhere online the install manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The blood that squirts from your finger after you run a #40 drill bit into it is proof that your still alive.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Location: Zürich W, Switzerland, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, known Universe...

billieracing, read 2 posts up

DC

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
RV-6 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner