As I slave away with moding my cowling and remembering that I said I was not going to post about this, I got to thinking that anyone who may decide to venture off in to installing a "Alternative" engine will probably have to do some cowl modification, hence it makse sense to share a bit about this.....
I had to modify my cowling to fit this set up. I had built this cowl to fit a different engine set up. With the R18 Honda, it need to be dropped about 5/8 of an inch and lengthened about 1/2 an inch.
Looking at this photo you may think you see "bondo". Not the case. I use West Systems epoxy and lots of micro balloons with some sillica (cabosil). You will see green foam. This is what I call "flourist" foam that is readily available at any hobby or craft shop. Plus it is very easy to sand and shape. It is excellent and inexpensive when you want add volume and it is NOT structural. So for me it was an excellent choice to add 1/2" to the nose. Then cover with epoxy/micro.
The next photo is a rough fit of the spinner. I have actually done a lot more filling and sanding after this, but it is coming along nicely.
There is a lot more work to do. I will be adding more to the lower cowl and sanding to the correct profile and then cover it all with a layer of glass before painting.
Feel free to ask questions if you want.