What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with IO-540-C4B5 with sump mod

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I bought an IO-540-C4B5 engine which had an inverted oil system installed in the past.
This is what is written in the logbook:
"This powerplant modified with a Christen 811-A sump kit. A Christen No. 805 sump plug has been installed in the front of the horizontal sump screen. This blocked the original oil entry to the pump. Oil return holes have been drilled in the rear case ref. Christen instructions Dwg. No. X-90064. The sump was modified per Dwg X-90062 with Christen 812-m weld bosses to receive the oil line fittings".
Please help me what all this mean and how I can get this engine back to standard configuration for use in RV10.
Thanks.
Johan

Somebody paid good money to have that sump modified, so you might cast around and see if someone else is looking to do the same. Just trade sumps with them. Might check on the biplane forum (lot of 540, acro guys there), or the other sites like Barnstormers (or here, for that matter).

Remove the fitting, remove the screen, remove the plug, install new full length screen. Replace the fitting with a sump plug. Your back to original setup. You should also have other fittings in the sump. You can remove the, install plugs, and install what ever drain mechanism you want. That gets you back to standard from the engine point of view.

Thanks for all the help

I now understand how the system looks and function and how to convert back to normal. Was worried for a while! Was not sure if sump removal was needed.
Smiling now!!
Johan

I bought an IO-540-C4B5 engine which had an inverted oil system installed in the past.
This is what is written in the logbook:
"This powerplant modified with a Christen 811-A sump kit. A Christen No. 805 sump plug has been installed in the front of the horizontal sump screen. This blocked the original oil entry to the pump. Oil return holes have been drilled in the rear case ref. Christen instructions Dwg. No. X-90064. The sump was modified per Dwg X-90062 with Christen 812-m weld bosses to receive the oil line fittings".
Please help me what all this mean and how I can get this engine back to standard configuration for use in RV10.
Thanks.
Johan

Hi, just wondering if you figured this out? I actually need that sump and have a good one for you..

Yes, figured out.

Hi, just wondering if you figured this out? I actually need that sump and have a good one for you..

Abraham,
It was an easy fix to convert to normal operating sump. Exactly as Kahuna described in post #4.
After that I had another problem. On the bottom right of the sump that came with the engine (aerobatic) there was a welded boss with plug installed. That boss interfered with the bottom horizontal brace of the engine mount. At the time I found another standard sump and exchanged mine. Engine now installed, not run yet. Unfortunately I no longer have the sump you're looking for.
Best wishes.
Johan

Abraham,
It was an easy fix to convert to normal operating sump. Exactly as Kahuna described in post #4.
After that I had another problem. On the bottom right of the sump that came with the engine (aerobatic) there was a welded boss with plug installed. That boss interfered with the bottom horizontal brace of the engine mount. At the time I found another standard sump and exchanged mine. Engine now installed, not run yet. Unfortunately I no longer have the sump you're looking for.
Best wishes.
Johan

Glad everything worked out for you, thanks..

Back