What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Siemen's Aircraft Electric Motor

johngoodman

Well Known Member
I noticed that the Siemen's aircraft electric motor flew on an Extra this Summer. The motor puts out 260kW - that's 348 horses, at 2500 rpm. It only weighs 50 kg. It sounds perfect for an RV-10, but batteries would limit it.
John

I have been lucky to speak with someone from Siemens a couple of weeks ago. As you mentioned, the engines are light but batteries are still "one issue" to make this kind of installation suitable for planes like ours.
I do not have exact data but I know that this plane, equipped with the Siemens engine, batteries and with a pilot installed on board was beyond the MTOW of Lycoming version.

On an RV-10, or any of the RVs, the batteries would have to be far forward for CG considerations.

Dave

I seem to recall from a video on Avweb looking at the Extra in question, that the cowl was filled with batteries stacked right behind the (rather thin) motor to help with the balance.

I can see building a modified wing with the batteries spread in the wing, with the new lighter lithium ion cells the weight is low but you would still want to be careful not to have too much outboard weight with the increased bending moment at the fuselage during ground ops.

Google it.

lithium ion cells

Lithium-ion-batteries-on-a-hoverbaord-catch-fire-1.jpg

I can see building a modified wing with the batteries spread in the wing, with the new lighter lithium ion cells the weight is low but you would still want to be careful not to have too much outboard weight with the increased bending moment at the fuselage during ground ops.

Increased wing weight also adversely affects spin characteristics and may have an effect upon flutter. Any such change requires not only some new engineering, it takes some GOOD engineering.

Dave

So I'll use your own words against you in this case - Google it.

I did.

Cut and pasted your words from your prior post.

That is how I got the fire photo.

not all of them are as evil as the media loves to tell you.

Not evil at all-------been flying with Li-po, Li-ion, Ni-cad, NIMH etc batteries for over 50 years in my R/C models----but surely can be dangerous.

As a professional fireman, I received both training, and real world experience with battery fires-------aint pretty. BTDT---- 'nuff said.

Yes, there are different batteries based on lithium chemistry------some therefore must be safer than others, and some more dangerous.

Some of the worse things that can be done to cause failure/fire in these batteries are improper charging, improper discharging, physical damage, and improper storage.

You also used the phrase "I can see building a modified wing with the batteries spread in the wing"-------now consider this wing parked on the ramp in hot weather for a day or two. Then the owner jumps in and fires it up and takes off--------max current draw time.

Who knows what will happen??? If in a correctly designed system, with correct battery management most likely nothing will happen due to the safety systems not allowing the heat soaked batteries to even be online to run the motor.

Now, think about some homebuilder modifying his RV and filling up part of the wing area/volume with Li-ion, Li-po, or Li-whatever batteries.

Safe, reliable electric aircraft that can match the performance, range, refuel time, and usable load most likely will happen eventually------but for now it is a brave new world that awaits someone a lot more interested in being an explorer than I am.

All I am trying to say is be careful out there.

Last edited:
I read somewhere the Li Ion battery auto terminate, end of story, bad day: temp was around 300 F ? So where do you wand your fire, in front of you or in the wings.......wait.....Gas flash point -265 F ......never mind.

Easy guys - I'm not going to build one either - I was just making an off-the-cuff observation, not trying to engineer a final product. Each builder is responsible for their own design modifications.

Back