What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting wings at end of Fuse build?

gfb

Well Known Member
Reaching the end of the fuse kit and see that right around the corner (before starting on finish kit) the plans want me to fit the wings.

How important is it to do this now? Can I get away with doing wing fittings closer to when I'm done and have already moved to the hangar?

Same point in build, but ....

I'm going to fit the wings after completing the fuselage build portion. My reason is for painting the interior. I would like to fit the wings and plumb all the fuel and lines I can, rig flight controls, then remove wings, paint interior and order the finishing kit. Just my reasoning for fitting the wings, but I don't see why you cannot wait until later in the build.

Last edited:
I delayed the wing installation until after the fuselage was nearly completed. I finished the wings except for the bottom skins. Then I built the fuselage, installed the hor stab and rudder, installed the landing gear, installed the panel and wiring, installed the engine and cowling and spinner, installed the canopy and installed all the tips and fairings.

I did this all in my garage to avoid the trips to the hangar (22 miles one way).
To do this you will assemble and remove everything several (many) times.

Then I moved all to the hangar and started the final assembly. The first time my wings were installed was after the fuselage was nearly finished. There was anxiety to the max!

Thanks to Vans excellent kit all went well.

I'm at about the same stage of construction, and have had my wings on and off about 3 times now while doing the fitup of the fuel lines, incidence, and sweep/aft spar drilling, and flap trimming to the fuse.

With a helper, it's quite fast and easy; about 10 minutes a side to get them on and temporary bolts in. My my kids, 16 and 13 years olds, are now certified wing wigglers. Did it in my driveway (BTW, if you do it on a sunny day, cover the wings with some old sheets; the reflection off of the shiny aluminum can be fierce!)

There may be no need to do it in Van's order, but is was not problems to do it per print. One advantage of doing it early (if only once) is that you can find any fitment problems. I'd rather find out early as possible, rather than after 2000 hours of work, all systems installed and buttoned up, etc.

Reaching the end of the fuse kit and see that right around the corner (before starting on finish kit) the plans want me to fit the wings.

How important is it to do this now? Can I get away with doing wing fittings closer to when I'm done and have already moved to the hangar?

If you have a space in the shop and an extra hand fit them as instructions say.
It will give you peace of mind and a task fulfilled. As whd721 said it will save you a lot of time in the hangar. IMHO :)

Back