What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap switch and g3x

Gizmos

I used the 4 position green push button switch on my rv6a. But now I have 2) g3x that I am using in my rv9a. Any suggestion on how / where/ what to used for the flaps. I don't think I want it on my stick, dont want to hit it by accident. I know there are safety switches that will prevent it.But I like to push a button and know exactly how much flaps I have in. Is there a way to do what I want without the 4 button switch?

Yes. You have to install something like a Ray Allen POS-12 position sensor. You can then configure the G3X to extend the flaps to pre-determined stops. With push buttons, I expect you need 2 - one for down and one for up. It seems to me that most use a momentary rocker or toggle to accomplish this verses push buttons.

FWIW, I use a miniature toggle on my stick grip (Infinity) and inadvertent activation is a complete non-issue.

Before you declare victory, what I said is true regarding the display, but I'm not sure if the G3X will actually control the Flap motor. If it doesn't, you'd have to manually "hold" the button/switch down that controls the flaps until they reached the desired position as indicated on the G3X display.

Pos12

I used the ra pos 12 on my rv6 with the 4 button switched. I was hoping that I could find a way to show the flap position on g3x while only having to push a button/ switch to change degrees. I would not mind having a switch I would have to click to change to a predetermined position. A simple up for up or down for down in 10 degrees steps

I used the ra pos 12 on my rv6 with the 4 button switched. I was hoping that I could find a way to show the flap position on g3x while only having to push a button/ switch to change degrees. I would not mind having a switch I would have to click to change to a predetermined position. A simple up for up or down for down in 10 degrees steps

That you can do as you calibrate the G3X display to the position sensor so you can select the "stops". What I don't know is how easy it will be to stop at a given position by holding and releasing the switch when you reach a mark on the display--there could be some motor to display latency that would either have you going past the mark or stopping before it.

Although my G3X displays my flaps, I don't really use it as I have a Vertical Power VP-200 electrical system that both controls and displays my flaps.

Back