What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot and AOA tube routing

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
When I built my wings, I did not plan on a heated pitot or the AOA that comes with the G3X system. I have the tiny tubes installed for the AOA Sport model and a standard tube for the pitot I was going to build out of tubing.

With the Garmin, it takes 2 standard size tubes. I am trying to figure out how to get them to the unit I just installed just past the tie down ring. The options as I see it:

1. Use the 72" x 1/2" (I have a 3/8" too) drill I have to drill new holes through the ribs, put the snap in clips in and run it that way.

2. Run the tubes through the lightning hole and figure out how to clip them to the side of the hole. I suppose I could shove my arm inside and somehow screw an adel clamp to support them.

3. Run a piece of conduit in the lightning hole that would not need as many supports.

4. Im not sure if this is a good idea or not - the Z brace in the wing has a spot on the top and bottom that a piece of air line will fit. It is possible - I actually did it, to run the lines in this space. My concern is wing flex or movement and crushing the lines.

I favor #1 since I have a drill bit that will work but was unsure of how many holes can be drilled - and where in the ribs.

Making a mounting plate for the pitot and installing it in a closed wing was not as much fun as you would think!!

Thanks

Routing

My vote is option 1. Take a close look at the bellcrank and aileron pushrod so you don't have a Doh!

If you like, stop by and look at my installation. It's a -7 as you know, but should be similar as I put in a heated and AOA pitot.

Dan

If you like, stop by and look at my installation. It's a -7 as you know, but should be similar as I put in a heated and AOA pitot.

Dan

Dan, I will come on by and see your install. Im not sure why I didn't think of that earlier!! Thanks

My vote is #4. As long as you make sure that the lines don't get crushed if you remove and reinstall the tanks, that ought to be okay. I know another builder who is doing exactly that, and it's on the 3rd airplane he built (in his case, the 3rd is still being built). Perhaps you can use tape to hold the lines in position... you wouldn't need to install the tape until you remove the tank, of course.

That area is probably the most rigid in the wing. There should be no perceptible flex or movement there.

My second choice would be #3, using rigid conduit. Several people have identified the rigid irrigation tube that they used so you ought to be able to search out the stuff.

Dave

Back