What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin lighting bus

Paddy

Well Known Member
Question for the group on panel dimming. I've got 4 dimmers total, 3 PWM units for LEDs in switches, map lights and cabin lights and an empty hole for a simple pot to provide an analog voltage reference to a common lighting bus for the 3GX and all the other Garmin stuff. The reason for the empty hole is I can't figure out what value pot I need for the lighting bus, given that the Garmin units only use the bus voltage as a reference for their internally driven backlighting, ie they don't draw any real current from the lighting bus... What have others done?

I would use a 5k if I were doing it that way to keep the current and wasted power low.

Power to one side of the pot, ground the other and connect the center tap to the G3X.

All my dimmers are the Van's cheapo model (adjustable voltage regulators).

Last edited:
Hi All,
Figure 26-2.2 of the G3X installation manual spells out that 10K potentiometers are required to vary the subsequent output to your desired lighting device (in my case, PWM for Van's LED strip lighting, as the GDU460, GMA245, G5, GTR200 and GTN625 all have their own photocells). My question is, does anyone know where to find a panel mount 10k with some faston tabs, or some other form of attachment that hopefully doesn't involve my less than refined soldering skills? Everything I seems to find has soldered terminals.
Cheers,
Tom.

Ok, so it appears that a potentiometer with faston tabs is non existent, thus it looks like I will be doing battle with the soldering iron. I have found some pots that should work well in the limited space I have available under the G3X touch screen, however does anyone know if it is preferential to get a linear or logarithmic 10k Pot to be driving these lighting controls, as it isn't spelled out in the manual?
Thanks,
Tom.

Here are the pots:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9939
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9940

LED strip current draw

Hi All,

I measured the current draw on the White LED strip I purchased from Van's, and just running it off a 12V battery, it drew 0.65A. I noticed that the maximum current draw per pin of the GAD27 lighting is specified as "500mA AVERAGE MAX CURRENT EACH PIN" (Page 26-14 of the manual).
Will the PWM automatically adjust its pulsing rate to ensure that 500mA average is not exceeded?
Has anyone successfully run the white LED strip and subsequently I just shouldn't worry about it and just build on?
Cheers,
Tom.

Back