What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to Santa Monica (SMO)

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi All
I have never been there, Is there public parking? How far is the walk to the Spitfire Grill? Any other information will be a big help.

Thanks

I have only ever flown things that burn turbine fuel there so we always parked on the north side. I recall there being plenty of piston powered stuff parked on the south side of the runway which is closer to the Spitfire if memory serves. I also recall the Spitfire being a very quick drive from the north side so probably an easy walk from the south side. Mind you, I have not been on the ramp in SMO for close to 10 years so that might all be different now.

SMO landing fees and Spitfire Grill

SMO charges landing fees by the pound. I estimate an RV would be about 10$. I have flown in there many times but not in my RV so I don't have the exact amount. You will receive a bill from a contractor hired by the airport to collect the fee.

The Spitfire Grill is about 150 yards south of the south side transient parking. Easy walk there and back. Pretty good food the times I have been there.

Hi All
I have never been there, Is there public parking? How far is the walk to the Spitfire Grill? Any other information will be a big help.

Thanks

Dayton,

There is transient parking on the south side of the airport, about 500' from the threshold of the runway. Once you pull off the runway head east and it's on the right hand side, just past the large hangars where the A&P shops are. You'll see a bunch of aircraft parked in front of those hangars, that's not transient parking. Keep going past them and park in front of the building with the observation ramp. I forget what they charge for overnight parking now, but I think it's $10/night. They have a drop box next to the door into the pilots lounge where you leave your $$$.

SS fuel is on the field at the south west end and is sold by American Flyers.

SMO does charge a landing fee and for an RV it'll be about $15. It's charged by a company on the east coast somewhere and they pull your address from your N number which they catch on a camera in the run up area. If you have small N numbers it makes it harder for them to see and you may or may not get a bill. In the 10 or so landings I've made there since they started charging landing fees I've only gotten 1 bill.

Coming from the north there are two ways to get into SMO. Coming down the Owen's Valley I'd plan on calling Joshua Approach around Inyokern. They'll hand you off to SoCal as you cross the San Gabriel Mountains and this will make your life much easier crossing the San Fernando Valley as you'll be automatically cleared thru Burbank's Charlie, and not have the "thread the needle" between the Charlie and Bravo airspace. Also, there is a lot of jet and GA traffic inbound to both Van Nuys and Burbank and it's nice to have the extra help in providing eyes and separation from the jets. Cross the Santa Monica Mountains near the Sepulveda Pass, it's the freeway that cuts across the mountains just south of Van Nuys airport, you can't miss it, and you're set up for a right base entry to runway 21 at Santa Monica.

If you're planning to come down the coast the airspace is a bit easier and less congested. You'll have to descend below 5,000 to drop under the LAX Bravo at Malibu's Point Dume, it's easy to see from the air what's depicted on the chart. Follow the coast and when it turns south aim for the Santa Monica Pier, that'll set you up on a 45 degree entry for the right downwind to 21. SMO can be tricky to spot from the air for someone that hasn't been there before, the pier trick makes it a little easier.

The Spitfire is a 5 minute walk from the transient parking ramp, just head south across the parking lot and through the park. Despite everything the city has done to ruin the airport, and believe me they have done a lot, SMO is still my favorite airport to fly in/out of.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to send me a PM, I'm happy to help anyway I can.

Last edited:
I was billed a 4$ landing fee a couple of years ago, received it weeks later. Paying it is still on my "to do list".
Tim

I've landed there about 6 or 7 times, but only got a bill twice - I paid both times a very reasonable amount - can't remember exactly how much. I was advised by a friend to just ignore it in the future if I get the bill. He doesn't think very highly of the city for trying to close the airport. He said "they don't deserve your money" and you shouldn't feel guilty about not paying. Doesn't sound like they enforce it, but who knows...

Transient parking is in front of where the restaurant used to be (forced to close by the city). Easy walk from Spitfire Grill.

Back