What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Position Sensor

rdg

I have a Garmin avionics setup that has a lead for a flap position sensor. The sensor is a Ray Allen unit with 1.2 inch travel. Has anybody installed one in an RV-8A? Not sure what the installation would call for.

I have a Garmin avionics setup that has a lead for a flap position sensor. The sensor is a Ray Allen unit with 1.2 inch travel. Has anybody installed one in an RV-8A? Not sure what the installation would call for.

There are threads about this on the forum including pics; a search should find it (it's what I used for my RV-8A.) Basically you fabricate a bracket or two that attaches between the aircraft structure and the flap motor / actuator. Adjust the geometry so that the sensor shaft is limited to an inch or so of travel between full up and full down. There is probably a calibration procedure (there was with the VP-X system I use.)

I have my Ray Allen POS-12 mounted to a removable bracket that is secured to the bulkhead just aft of the flap torque tube. The sensor is connected to the torque tube via a link arm that is mounted to another bracket down near the torque tube mounting blocks.
Really simple thing to build up once I decided on a design. Shouldn't take more than an afternoon to do it. I will look for a picture when I get home.

Finally found the picture I promised a few days ago. Sorry for the delay.
The link is a 10-32 threaded rod if memory serves. All the hardware comes from large scale RC car stuff as was suggested by others. I have things set up so the position sensor never reaches absolute travel limit. If I run the flap motor to full travel in either direction and then disconnect the link arm I can get just a bit more extension or retraction in the position sensor. I made a cardboard bracket as a template for fitting and then created the real thing from some spare .032. I have it set up so I can remove two screws from behind the baggage compartment wall and remove the bracket. Everything fits behind the cockpit side wall.

IMG_3598_zpsl0z2exxl.jpg

Finally found the picture I promised a few days ago. Sorry for the delay.
The link is a 10-32 threaded rod if memory serves. All the hardware comes from large scale RC car stuff as was suggested by others. I have things set up so the position sensor never reaches absolute travel limit. If I run the flap motor to full travel in either direction and then disconnect the link arm I can get just a bit more extension or retraction in the position sensor. I made a cardboard bracket as a template for fitting and then created the real thing from some spare .032. I have it set up so I can remove two screws from behind the baggage compartment wall and remove the bracket. Everything fits behind the cockpit side wall.

IMG_3598_zpsl0z2exxl.jpg

This is a very nice setup. This picture is very helpful for me because I am at this stage of my build.

My install looks nearly identical except I put a ?Z? bend in the control rod to absorb any over stroke issues.

Just got mine installed last weekend. Due to the left bias location of the sensor arm, mounting it on the left side (just like in the picture) gives me the most amount of clearance from the left harness mounting point.

The sliding arm of the sensor is delicate delicate, any standard RC music wire connector should work, except for the micro-RC or park flyer types.

Back