What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barrett Cold Air & Vetterman Exhaust

chazking

Well Known Member
Do the Barrett Cold Air & Vetterman exhaust play well together? Fitment issues?

Does an FM300 fit well with the Barrett Cold Air?

What are the changes to the standard cowling for the Barrett Cold Air?

What are the changes to the linkage for the BCA vs the standard RSA-5?

Any other considerations?

Not sure how close the designs are, but I've got a Superior cold-air sump and Vetterman cross-over on my IO360 in my 9A.

The Barrett cold air IO-540 has an entirely different sump and intake tube setup, and requires a different exhaust and cowling than the standard RV-10. You can either use the James cowling, or the Showplanes cowling, and we have done exhausts for both. Clint Busenitz/Vetterman Exhaust.

Barrett Cold Air

Chaz:

The following changes are required for use with our cold air induction available only for the 540 for the RV-10.

1) Mount modification. There is a slight interference with a non-structural cross bar on the mount, which we have modified by an aerospace engineer. This is supplied to our customers as a value added service with an engine build. If you are purchasing your engine elsewhere, we will be happy to provide the service, but there is a $200 charge.

2) Cowling. Because you are completely relocating the throttle body, the stock cowl will not work. I think Gary Specketer modified his stock cowl, but unless you're extremely comfortable working with fiberglass, I would choose the modified cowl. I don't think that the James' are providing cowls for the 10 any more, but the Show Planes cowl is currently in production and being used by a number of our customers. Either the FM200, FM250, FM 300 works great with the cold air. You will get the most airflow with either the 250 or 300. I would check with Bryan Milani regarding their cowl and which systems they have built with. In my opinion, the FM300 is the best option, but you will burn quite a bit more fuel at WOT.

3) Exhaust. Vetterman does in fact have an exhaust for the cold air 540. Clinton at Custom Aircraft Parts is also working on an exhaust for our cold air set up. There are two versions of our cold air, so it is important that you tell whomever you are working with that you are using the "new style" pipes.

Please let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Here is what I have

Chaz,
I have the Show Planes cowl with the FM300, Barrett Cold Air induction and Vetterman exhaust. You will need to order your exhaust directly from them as he will need to make one as the stock version Vans sales won't work.

The FM300 will require a spacer between the FM300 and cold air induction inlet as the FM300 upper fuel connection will interfere with the engine case. Allen should know exactly what you need for this.

The throttle cable will likely need to be routed down near the intake pipes and the mixture cable will go below the cold air sump offest to the copilot side below the intake pipes for the FM300.

Show Planes cowl was made with in mind the Barrett Cold Air sump and FM200-300. Show Planes cowling has a "snorkel" kit that is used for the left and right side lower half of the circle inlets of the cowling that connect as a "y" just prior to connecting to the FM300. Other installs might vary, but because I have the AC compressor I had to modify the "snorkel" and modified a bump out into the cowling. I think doing this again I could keep from having the bump out but I wanted extra space between the "snorkel" and cowling in my case. In standard installs I believe the "snorkel" will fit with no interfernce issues.

I can't say enough about the following: Show Planes Cowling, AirFlow,Vetterman Exhaust and Barrett's. Great combination of products along with great customer service.

Comments

Thanks, all for the comments & eMails.

At this point it's clear that the way forward is for a new build not a retrofit to a flying RV-10.

Back