What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Probe Temp Verification

SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
I have tried to verify that my IO-360 oil temp probe is sending the correct current to my D-180. I have heated up oil to 215 degrees and set the probe in the oil and they are far apart (35 degrees) when compared to a thermometer. we have tried this on two airplanes and both are showing the same results :(
I remember reading about measuring the resistance in the probe and Dynon sent me all of the temps vs olms, but I would like someone to tell me how to preform this task with an olm meter.. Here is a portion of the values Dynon gave me, I have all of the values from -11 degrees to 289 degrees
Temp(?F)resistance
-11 9320
-9 8700
-8.5 8550
-7.5 8240
-5 7600
-4 7330
-3 7100
-1.5 6750
0 6450
2 6040
3 5840
6.5 5200
8 4960
9.5 4720
15 3970
21.8 3210

Help is needed,
Thanks

Don, not sure those resistance values are of any value to you.

What you need is a sensor that works properly.

I'd call Dynon and request one.

You should be able to use an OHM meter to the two wires/pins and test that way. You want to make sure to set the Ohm range to include the numbers you are expecting to see.

Since you have the same problem on 2 seperate systems, perhaps your reference thermometer is in error. What are you using for this? When was it last calibrated or verified?

Since you have the same problem on 2 seperate systems, perhaps your reference thermometer is in error. What are you using for this? When was it last calibrated or verified?

Dan as we were testing an A&P walked up with a Laser Temp Gun and it reviled we were only off 3 degrees as an average.
I still would like to know where the black and red leads would be placed to read the resistance. I'm assuming one would go on the wire connection with the Dynon wire disconnected and guessing the other on the side or ground side. Then to raise or lower the resistance would you have to heat up the probe in a known temp reading? Sorry, I'm not savvy on resistance stuff!!

Thanks

Disconnect the Dynon wire. Assuming that you are using the Dynon sensor with a single stud, attach one probe from the voltmeter to the stud and one to the body of the probe. Which probe is which doesn't matter. If you have the meter set to measure ohms you should see the resistance.

Back