What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mapping subscriptions

tomkk

Well Known Member
I've been reviewing downloaded versions of the Garmin & Skyview User's Guides prior to ordering my own system. I'm having trouble sorting out what of the mapping capabilities they describe require paid subscriptions through Seattle, Jepp, PocketFMS, etc., what gets lost without those subscriptions and generally how it all works.

I see moving map, obstacle clearance, flight planning capabilities, etc. capabilities that would require regular updates. Are all these updates through paid subscriptions? Are there any "Lifetime" subscriptions provided with the systems similar to what's available for auto GPSs? Generally how often are updates required? Do subscriptions include VFR/IFR charts, airport diagrams, etc.?

Van's Garmin order form says it comes with the Americas databases and a refresh certificate. Is that for a single refresh or longer? The Skyview order form says it comes with SV-270 Moving Map software with USA FAA Nav Database, no mention of updates.

I guess the real problem I'm having is too much info from sources that use slightly different terminology that I'm having trouble reconciling.

Thanks

So let's break it down...you mention Garmin and Skyview. Which Garmin box do you have?

As for Skyview:

The "aviation" and "obstacle" databases are free from Dynon on their database updates page. Aviation is exactly that, airports, navaids, etc., all the stuff you'd need for flight planning. Obstacles are, well, obstacles like towers and such. The aviation and obstacle databases are updated once a month. The terrain database is updated much less often, as it doesn't change very much.

As for mapping and navigation on the Skyview, you pay a one-time fee (after the 30 hour free "intro" to the capabilities) for the SV-MAP-270 Navigation Mapping Software. See here:

http://wiki.dynonavionics.com/SV-SY...on)_and_SV-MAP-270_(Navigation_Data)_Overview

But bottom line here is just to go ahead and pay it. It's silly to have a highly capable system like SV and not have this enabled. Frankly, I don't know why they bother to offer it as a separate thing with the "additional" cost (they should just roll it into the total cost of the box).

Now, CHARTS on SV are a different thing...they do require a subscription for them from Seattle Avionics. I think it's a hundred bucks a year, you get VFR, IFR Low/High, Approach Plates, Airport Diagrams and A/FD diagrams. A bargain.

Note that none of this has anything to do with Garmin...you'll have to buy those subscriptions separately, from Jeppesen (for aviation data) at Jepp's prices (don't forget the ridiculously overpriced "adapters" for the navcards you have to buy), or from Garmin (for terrain data), again at a ridiculous price AND also including another adapter card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Joe, that was really helpful.

The Garmin I'm looking at is the G3X system Van's just started offering for the -12. I take it from your last remarks that Garmin's higher prices don't stop with the initial purchase :).

The link to Dynon's overview was really helpful, particularly where it says "Note that SV-MAP-270 is the CAPABILITY to display Navigation Mapping - it is NOT the Navigation Mapping data! ". That statement, in itself, cleared up a lot of my confusion.

Yeah, agree, not sure why they don't just roll the extra price into the box price.

I expect there will be some better Garmin details to follow from other members.

In the meantime, I will say that - if you are looking at the G3X for the RV-12 - then you don't need any special card / adapters. The G3X uses a simple SD card for loading new data. Also, for VFR, you don't need any special data from Jeppesen. Garmin data are much more affordable than Jepp data.

If you have a 430W/530W series IFR certified GPS, you will need Jeppesen data.

Tom,

Thanks for your interest in G3X. I'll try to address all of your questions here, but as always, feel free to use the direct contact information in the signature below if you need anything else.

I see moving map, obstacle clearance, flight planning capabilities, etc. capabilities that would require regular updates. Are all these updates through paid subscriptions?

All G3X Touch database updates will be downloaded to an SD card using the flyGarmin website. So for the RV-12, all your databases will come from the same source which will simplify managing your updates. For a detailed list of database bundle contents and pricing, please follow this link. G3X database bundles are available for as little as $50/year which includes navigation, obstacle, terrain and Garmin SafeTaxi data (detailed diagram of airports on the moving map which are geo-referenced).

Are there any "Lifetime" subscriptions provided with the systems similar to what's available for auto GPSs? Generally how often are updates required?

Lifetime subscriptions are not available for G3X. You can find a detailed list of aviation database cycles here. The most frequent updates range from a 28 to 56 day cycle depending on the data.

Do subscriptions include VFR/IFR charts, airport diagrams, etc.?

Yes. The G3X US Lite Database Bundle includes all items listed in the $50/year bundle, but adds IFR/VFR charts, Garmin geo-referenced FliteCharts, and Airport Directory. The US Lite Database Bundle is $150/year.

Van's Garmin order form says it comes with the Americas databases and a refresh certificate. Is that for a single refresh or longer?

The refresh certificate is good for a one time update of all G3X databases. You should receive one of these certificates with each display purchased (i.e. if you purchase a two display system, you should receive two certificates.

Hopefully this helps clarify the G3X database options. Please let us know if you have any more questions about databases and their features. You may also find some of the information available on our G3X Touch webpage helpful.

Thanks,
Brian

Yeah, agree, not sure why they don't just roll the extra price into the box price.

Tom,
Not every installation wants to use SkyView for the mapping function, and we only charge that once per AIRPLANE. So if we roll it into the price, and you had two screens, you'll pay twice. The RV-12 already comes with mapping on the main screen, so if you add a second screen, you don't need to buy the map again.

I agree it's not perfect and can be confusing until you understand it, but that is why it works the way it does.

As accurately mentioned earlier- USA aviation and obstacle data is free on our website, no subscription needed. Adding VFR sectionals, IFR HI/LO, airport diagrams and approach plates is $99 a year. Doesn't matter how many screens you have in the plane, we charge per plane, not per screen.

Can I just hijack the thread a little bit since the original question seems answered. I am making the same choice at the moment for my RV-12 but I live in Australia. I am struggling to work out which charts/databases will be available for the 2 systems here.

It seems that the choices are:

Dynon
via a pocket FMS, Nav and airport data but no charts, 150 euro per year.
via Jeppsen, Nav, Obstacle and airport data but no charts, $315 per year

Garmin
via flyGarmin, Nav and airport data but no charts $375 per year
via Jeppsen something is available but I have to ring them up as they wont tell me on their website the costs...

Do I understand this correctly?

Alex,
That's pretty close for Dynon, except:

PocketFMS is 120 euro a year, not 150. However, for the 150, you do get whatever "plates" they have for Australia. You'd need to check with them to see what they have right now, they are always expanding. We do hope to support ICAO charts from them in the future as well.

Alex,

Garmin currently offers the following databases via FlyGarmin which contain Australian coverage:

• Pacific Navigation Data (Jeppesen data), $60/update or $180/yr
  • Worldwide Terrain, $75/update, your one time free update will ensure this is current at time of purchase and terrain doesn't update often (last update was well over a year ago)
  • Pacific Airport Directory by AC-U-KWIK, $50/update or $195/yr

G3X Touch software also provides integrated support for Jeppesen ChartView and Jeppesen can provide those charts which include coverage for Australia.

Thanks,
Brian

I have a Skyview and I can tell you I am thrilled with Dynon. I update my databases every month and always feel like I have current info. Additionally I have just purchased the Seattle Avionics data which gives me geo-references Sectionals and IFR charts as well as Terminal Approaches and Airport Diagrams. That costs $100/year but the update process works well. I am not sure I will continue the SA subscription as Foreflight really does the same thing, which I have also.

I use 2 USB flash drives and leave one continuously connected to Skyview. The other, I update when new data comes available and just swap drives when I want to upload the new databases.

I am not "down" on Garmin for their fee schedules. I just am not the type of person who will keep stuff updated if I always have to pay $$. For me this was a deciding factor to choose Dynon.

Can I just hijack the thread a little bit since the original question seems answered. I am making the same choice at the moment for my RV-12 but I live in Australia. I am struggling to work out which charts/databases will be available for the 2 systems here.

It seems that the choices are:

Dynon
via a pocket FMS, Nav and airport data but no charts, 150 euro per year.
via Jeppsen, Nav, Obstacle and airport data but no charts, $315 per year

Garmin
via flyGarmin, Nav and airport data but no charts $375 per year
via Jeppsen something is available but I have to ring them up as they wont tell me on their website the costs...

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks for the information G3Xpert and Dynonsupport.

For anyone else who was wondering I followed up with Jeppesen for the G3X. Prices are $220 for the Nav data, $320 for the Charts and $183 for the terrain but not that these are in Australian dollars and not US so multiply by about 0.82 to compare to the US prices.

I also find the flyGarmin website very confusing. I have a G3X and a GTN650, and I am trying to figure out what I need for VFR with the occasional IFR flight.

I see "Database Bundles" and "Pilot Paks" and I am having a hard time figuring out how they are different.

• Pacific Navigation Data (Jeppesen data), $60/update or $180/yr
  • Worldwide Terrain, $75/update, your one time free update will ensure this is current at time of purchase and terrain doesn't update often (last update was well over a year ago)
  • Pacific Airport Directory by AC-U-KWIK, $50/update or $195/yr
Brian, two questions:

Are these prices *per screen*? So if you have dual screens in your RV these numbers have to double?

What happens when the database expires? Do you get a "warning, this data isn't current" but then you can continue to use it, or does the data get locked out?

I also find the flyGarmin website very confusing. I have a G3X and a GTN650, and I am trying to figure out what I need for VFR with the occasional IFR flight.

I see "Database Bundles" and "Pilot Paks" and I am having a hard time figuring out how they are different.

Hello Ed,

Happy to help out with this. Put simply, a G3X Database Bundle includes databases for a G3X system, and the Pilot Pak is a database subscription for a G3X system with a GTN650/750.

So, is it as simple as choosing the Pilot Pak if you have a GTN and a Database Bundle if you don't? Not really.

With those big G3X displays, it is optional to keep all of the databases updated on the GTN 650. You could instead install EVERY database on a G3X/G3X Touch system for only $149.99/yr and only buy a Jepp NAV IFR database for the GTN. Jepp NAV database updates for the GTN are presently $195 for a single Americas update and $585/yr. The Jepp NAV database subscription can be added to your FlyGarmin account, so you just have to go one place on the web to download all of your database updates each month for your G3X system with a GTN 650.

When you are flying IFR enroute or IFR procedures with the GTN, it shares its straight and curved path leg segments with the G3X system enabling G3X to accurately render the same information on the map and sectional charts including missed approaches and holding patterns - even when the G3X system doesn't have a Jepp IFR Nav database.

These are the two database bundles available for G3X/G3X Touch systems. This is a system subscription that covers all of the G3X displays in the system.

US Mini Database Bundle for G3X/G3X Touch Systems $49.99/yr ($4.17/mo)
Includes the following databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• US VFR Navigation Data (airports, runways, frequencies)
  • Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • Terrain (used to render synthetic vision and provide terrain alerting)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)

US Lite Database Bundle for G3X/G3X Touch Systems $149.99/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• Obstacles (e.g. towers - used to provide obstacle visual and aural alerting including obstacle depiction in synthetic vision)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • SafeTaxi (airport diagrams integrated into moving map that are displayed and zoomed automatically when you need them for taxi and landing)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts, G3X Touch only)

In reference to the original poster's questions, and in defense of another poster's claim that our database prices are ridiculous, we want to provide some clarification.

While it is true that Garmin doesn't provide free databases, it is also true that Garmin doesn't charge $500 extra for navigation mapping software.

So, let's see how that $500 might otherwise be used. For the same $500 you might pay up front for another system, you could buy 10 years worth of US Mini Databases, and not only would you receive Navigation, Obstacle, and Terrain databases, but you would also receive SafeTaxi database updates which provides airport diagrams integrated into the moving map.

Now let's take this a step further and say you wanted to also include VFR sectionals, IFR HI/LO charts, airport diagrams and approach plates for your system. For another system you might need to contract with a 3rd party and pay $99/yr, and with your G3X system you would need to add the same $99 to the base subscription to upgrade to the US Lite Database Bundle for $149.99/yr and would receive those databases plus the AOPA Airport directory. So, for the first 10 years of operation, you would pay the same for both systems, but receive much more data, and from a single supplier, when using the G3X system.

We have a dedicated database team under our roof that works very hard to acquire data from around the world and make this data available to our customers. This group follows DO-200A processes, as required, to provide assurances that the quality of the data is as high as possible. We are quite proud of the value offered by these two affordable database bundles offered for G3X systems, and don't mind being very open and transparent about these costs.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
In reference to the original poster's questions, and in defense of another poster's claim that our database prices are ridiculous, we want to provide some clarification.

While it is true that Garmin doesn't provide free databases, it is also true that Garmin doesn't charge $500 extra for navigation mapping software.

Not a fair comparison...that's a *one-time* charge and, as explained, is only needed once no matter how many screens an installation has (although I still think if I were in charge of marketing, I'd bundle it in, then give a *discount* to "remove" it from 2nd or 3rd displays :) ).

You're also comparing a license for a software *feature* against a *database* subscription.

If you're going to favorably compare your product to another vendor, you ought to at least compare apples to apples.

So, let's see how that $500 might otherwise be used. For the same $500 you might pay up front for another system, you could buy 10 years worth of US Mini Databases, and not only would you receive Navigation, Obstacle, and Terrain databases, but you would also receive SafeTaxi database updates which provides airport diagrams integrated into the moving map.

Now let's take this a step further and say you wanted to also include VFR sectionals, IFR HI/LO charts, airport diagrams and approach plates for your system. For another system you might need to contract with a 3rd party and pay $99/yr, and with your G3X system you would need to add the same $99 to the base subscription to upgrade to the US Lite Database Bundle for $149.99/yr and would receive those databases plus the AOPA Airport directory. So, for the first 10 years of operation, you would pay the same for both systems, but receive much more data, and from a single supplier, when using the G3X system.

I don't know the pricing policies on all these different G3X bundles and such, but I stand by my original point regarding ***IFR*** boxes (like the 430W), that Jeppesen gouges the customer ($425/yr for US database), and Garmin on the terrain/obstacle databases ($150 for single terrain update, $195 per year for obstacles subscription). If I want all the database subscriptions/updates for my IFR navigator, that's $620 per year, plus the occasional $150 for terrain data.

Now let's see how that stacks up to Skyview: $500 one-time fee, plus $99 a year for VFR, IFR Hi/Lo, Approaches, Departures, Airport Diagrams and Flight Guide diagrams.

Oh, not to mention the special USB adapters I need to buy to program the two cards, at $195 for the Garmin adapter and $60 for the Jeppesen Skybound adapter. (I won't include the $400 in application-specific memory cards, as they came with the box, but it's nice to have a second nav card so I can update the card at my office, then swap in the plane, so there's another $200).

Yes, I know that IFR-certified databases involve a lot more rigorous in the translation from ARINC records to proprietary format, especially in the validation of the data prior to release, and so forth.

Still, it's a hard pill to swallow...especially when, for IFR, we're at the mercy, really, of just two companies.

G3X database management

Brian, two questions:

Are these prices *per screen*? So if you have dual screens in your RV these numbers have to double?

What happens when the database expires? Do you get a "warning, this data isn't current" but then you can continue to use it, or does the data get locked out?

Snowflake,

All of our G3X database purchases are tied to the aircraft and not to the individual display. Whether you buy a single G3X database update or a G3X database bundle it will update your entire panel. See Steve's separate post in this thread which explains the differences between G3X database bundles, PilotPaks which incorporate IFR navigator databases, and mixing database bundles with individual database subscriptions.

When any of our G3X databases expire, you will still have access to the data, including Garmin FliteCharts (approach plates, airport diagrams, etc. all remain active). Database status will always be shown on power up or can be pulled up manually from a display menu (see pic below showing the obstacle database expiration in yellow). Please note that if you opt for Jeppesen ChartView instead of Garmin FliteCharts, Jepp requires that data to be disabled 70 days after it expires at which point you will no longer be able to access it.

DatabaseOutofDate.jpg

I thought I'd also include a screen grab of our flyGarmin website to give you an idea how databases are managed. While it can be somewhat confusing initially since there are many possible products and databases to choose from, once you've added a G3X system to your account and picked your database package, flyGarmin makes it simple to actually manage the databases.

This first image shows the summary view. Note that in addition to the on screen status mentioned above, flyGarmin also highlights whether the last database downloaded is out of date.

DatabaseBundle.png

The next image shows the download screen that pops up after you click "Install". Notice that this screen allows you to choose allthe databases you'd like to have written to the SD card. So one download writes all the databases to the card and now you're ready to take it to the plane.

DatabaseBundle_select.png

Now that you have your SD card ready, place it in the SD card slot on the front bezel of the display. You'll get a prompt to update databases as shown below. The green checked items are telling you they are good to go. The yellow items have not yet been installed or they are older than the version currently on the card. The system will update the databases as needed if you simply press UPDATE ALL. You can repeat the process for each installed display using the same card.

3517.bmp

What takes a lot of words to describe is pretty straight forward in practice since it can all be managed from one site and through a single download to the SD card.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

Is there a package discount available for a G3X touch with a GTN 650?

What would you recommend for that setup?

Thanks,

-Dan

Brian,

Is there a package discount available for a G3X touch with a GTN 650?

What would you recommend for that setup?

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan,

We do have package pricing for the G3X Touch with the GTN series. We call it a "PilotPak" and you can find the details on our flyGarmin website by selecting G3X Touch from the drop down menu: https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

The other option is to purchase the nav data subscription for your GTN so you are able to load all waypoints and procedures. Then a G3X Touch database bundle can keep all your G3X displays up to date. Depending on what you are after, it can save you some money to go this route.

Thanks,
Brian

Another thread hijack here, with input requested of both Dynon and Garmin, please.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a Canadian who will be doing an IFR panel using a Garmin navigator (GNS480 in this case).

How do the purchase and subscription costs stack up between Dynon and Garmin to allow me to have VFR mapping and full IFR database support for Canadian operations?

Thanks in advance for your well considered replies.

You're also comparing a license for a software *feature* against a *database* subscription.

If you're going to favorably compare your product to another vendor, you ought to at least compare apples to apples.

I don't own either system so I don't have a dog in this fight...but it appears to me that WAS an apples to apples comparison. Dynon charges the user $500 for a feature Garmin gives you for free.

Garmin charges $50/year for data Dynon gives you for free.

If you want VFR/IFR charts either company will charge you $100/year.

The point G3Xpert made was that in 10 years you will have paid the same total dollars for the data, no matter which system you own. If you own the Dynon for LESS than 10 years you will end spending more money than of you owned Garmin. If you own the Garmin for MORE than 10 you'll spend more money owning Garmin hardware. Of course this assumes you keep your databases current.

When it comes to an IFR database for legal /G filing you're in the same boat no matter whose hardware you have becase Jepp is pretty much the only game in town.

I often see people making the claim that Garmin's prices are outrageous and the other guys are free and it just doesn't hold water. If you have to pay $500 to use the free data, is it really free?

John,
A minor detail is that we don't actually charge for our data. We charge to have the mapping function on a SkyView system, and we only charge once per aircraft. The difference here is that we give you the option to buy this, while other vendors fold this into the price of the system and don't give you the option. If you look, you'll find that a system with mapping from Dynon is the same price as the system with mapping from other vendors. So it's not really free in another vendor, it's just not something you can choose to leave out. If Dynon's systems with mapping were always $500 more than other systems, then the assumption might hold true.

In the end, if total cost of ownership is the main target for your system, you need to add up the whole purchase price, and then databases over the years. Depending on your overall configuration, different vendors will look different. It's not as simple as "Dynon pre-charges for data".

As a final note, just to be clear, using Jeppesen on an experimental EFIS doesn't make it legal for /G. However, every vendor negotiates their pricing with Jeppesen, so it does actually matter what IFR navigator you use. You might find the exact same Jepp database is 2X the price in one navigator vs the other.

Hi Steve, thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

Hello Ed,

Happy to help out with this. Put simply, a G3X Database Bundle includes databases for a G3X system, and the Pilot Pak is a database subscription for a G3X system with a GTN650/750.

So, is it as simple as choosing the Pilot Pak if you have a GTN and a Database Bundle if you don't? Not really.

With those big G3X displays, it is optional to keep all of the databases updated on the GTN 650. You could instead install EVERY database on a G3X/G3X Touch system for only $149.99/yr and only buy a Jepp NAV IFR database for the GTN. Jepp NAV database updates for the GTN are presently $195 for a single Americas update and $585/yr.

...When you are flying IFR enroute or IFR procedures with the GTN, it shares its straight and curved path leg segments with the G3X system enabling G3X to accurately render the same information on the map and sectional charts including missed approaches and holding patterns - even when the G3X system doesn't have a Jepp IFR Nav database....

US Lite Database Bundle for G3X/G3X Touch Systems $149.99/yr ($12.50/mo)
Includes the following 7 databases, updated as often as you like using an SD card in the display:

• FliteCharts (Geo-referenced IFR approach plates, airport diagrams, arrival and departure procedures)
  • Airport Directory (FBOs, runways, hours of operation, rental cars, etc)
  • IFR/VFR Charts (VFR sectionals and IFR Hi/Lo charts, G3X Touch only)

Thanks for this info. Since I want the IFR capability, it sounds like getting the Jepp Nav Data only for the 650 and the US Lite Datatbase Bundle for the G3X displays will get me everything I need. In that case, am I correct in assuming that I would be using the GTN650 to create flight plans, but that other features of the 650 might not be available, like Terrain displays? Anything else that I would be missing?
Also I notice that the Americas Nav Data subscription is $585 as you mention, but there is also a US subscription for $465. If I am not going to Canada or Mexico, seems like the US subscription will save me $120.

Based on this info, I think the US Lite bundle for the G3x and the US Nav Data for the GTN will be everything I would need for a total of $615, vs getting the US Standard + Flite Charts Pilot Pak for $937.

Is there any significant operational advantage to spending the extra $322 for a Pilot Pak that you can see?

One last question: Can I download and process the subscriptions on to a card from an Apple, or do I need to use a Windows PC?

Thanks

Last edited:
Does anyone know what Australian charts are available for the G3X Touch. Or if the Chart menu option can be tuned off. It's currently very untidy...

This discussion caught my eye,
i have had the Dynon Skyview in a dual installation for now 2 hears. What Dynon supplies you is really great... Add only Seattle avionics and if you want to play IFR in VFR conditions you can put all the waypoints in on a Skyview and using altitude hold and Nav and VS. The Dynon system will split a runway...

Although it is not legal read this again....Not Legal

I just installed a GTN 650, although this gives me a navigation box for legal GPS approaches a second com and my NAV/GS You can see the information presented excellent on the SkyView as I am sure you can on the Garmin 10 inch screen also..

What gets me is that unlike Bendix/King on for the older GPS navigators. You can not skip a download, they give you 12 downloads and you decided when you use them on a subscription even if it is into the next year.

I now have to spend to get the IFRcharts, And all approach proceedures almost
900 annually from JEPP's through Garmin to be legal.. Why am I pentalized on price per download if I do invidual downloads . Why are not the individual downloads 1/12 of the annual price. I really dont need an answer to this I know why...

I give Garmin Credit for developing the experimental avionics...But I am critical of all the major avionics Manufactures for letting Jepp dictate such outrageous prices. Is Boeing/Jepp the only company that can download charts from the FAA iin a specific format that can be downloaded using the Gama format? Why don't other companies jump in and give Jepp some competition

I give Dynon and its employees an A++++++ for service and advice... Any time I have had a problem like getting the DYnon and GTN to talk to each
other correctly the folks at DYNON have bent over Backwards..

Jack

Last edited:
Hi Steve, thanks for helping to clarify this for me.

Thanks for this info. Since I want the IFR capability, it sounds like getting the Jepp Nav Data only for the 650 and the US Lite Datatbase Bundle for the G3X displays will get me everything I need. In that case, am I correct in assuming that I would be using the GTN650 to create flight plans, but that other features of the 650 might not be available, like Terrain displays? Anything else that I would be missing?
Also I notice that the Americas Nav Data subscription is $585 as you mention, but there is also a US subscription for $465. If I am not going to Canada or Mexico, seems like the US subscription will save me $120.

Based on this info, I think the US Lite bundle for the G3x and the US Nav Data for the GTN will be everything I would need for a total of $615, vs getting the US Standard + Flite Charts Pilot Pak for $937.

Is there any significant operational advantage to spending the extra $322 for a Pilot Pak that you can see?

One last question: Can I download and process the subscriptions on to a card from an Apple, or do I need to use a Windows PC?

Thanks

I don't think G3Xpert ever answered this. Could you guys reply to this please?

Thanks,

-Dan

I believe you can go with the Jepp Nav Data for the GTN650, and then use the government charts instead of Jepp charts on your MFD. This might save some money. I like the Jepp charts and use them at work but the government issue charts work just fine.

You can process the subscription updates on a Mac, and now you can also do the SW updates for the G3X on a Mac... that's something new.

as for the subscription question asked in a previous post of mine, G3Xpert answered me via email... He said my proposal would work. But I'll let him chime in here.

Last edited:
Not to resurrect an old thread, but does anybody know how much ahead of time Garmin puts up the new charts?

Foreflight usually has the chart updates available about a week before they go live, but the current version of the charts expire on 8/20 and Garmin still doesn't have the new version on the website for the G3X.

This burnt me last month as I was going on a trip and couldn't download the new version before I left.

-Dan

Hello Dan,

Please see this page on the Fly Garmin database management website for information on database cycle schedules.

- Matt

Hello Dan,

Please see this page on the Fly Garmin database management website for information on database cycle schedules.

- Matt

Matt,

So charts aren't available until the day before they go into use? That sucks. That is going to be a real PITA if I'm traveling.

-Dan

Hello Dan,

As pilots ourselves, we sympathize and agree it is not an ideal situation, but unfortunately for VFR/IFR charts and FliteCharts (approach plates), our hands are tied by the way the FAA provides the data to us. We only receive chart data a handful of days before the new charts become effective, and then our cartographers have to verify and check the data and assemble it into the final output - a process which takes multiple days of computer time.

I should add that the story is better for other databases. While VFR/IFR charts and Flitecharts are typically available 1-2 days before their date of effectivity, all other databases available from flygarmin.com are typically available 7 days before they are effective. This includes the most important databases such as navigation data and obstacle data.

- Matt

PIREP for those flying VFR with the G3Xx systems: Is there a consensus about what database package is the most usable and cost effective? In other words, is the extra hunny a year to get charts and plates on your hard screens worth it? I'm thinking that I'll get the charts subscription on Garmin Pilot (or Foreflight) because I can engage Otto and use the tablet a bit easier than the screens. Any comments?

CA

Back