What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Michael Burbidge

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
Tonight I finished fitting the cowl. All the hinge wires went in without too much trouble. The fit is pretty good. On the top cowl, right side the cowl to fuselage gap is larger than I would have liked. It's about 1/16". The left side is much closer fit and looks nicer. Overall I'm pleased. I don't know how many times I took the cowl on and off to get the fit right. I got very good at doing it myself.

This feels like a huge milestone. Bigger than almost anything else I've completed. I'm not sure why that is. But it just feels like I can see light at the end of the tunnel. It's probably just a flashlight.

I'm getting excited!

Here's a couple of pictures. I bought the hinge wire with the welded clip from Vans. Very nice and worth the $26.

baa3537595f0409794e7547ae818ee0b

And the clip.

80237396ff2943b0b87564d6781c0ee9

Nice work! I'd suggested you to make a little gap ( approx 2/32" )between both cowls and fuselage for easier installation after painting.

Michael,

Looking great! I am right there with you bruthah!

I am epoxying fasteners as we speak!

Serious MVP (Major Visual Progress)!!!

:cool: CJ

You're Going to Need That 1/16" Gap - On Both Sides

As mentioned above, it's difficult to fit together two surfaces with zero tolerance. More importantly, two painted surfaces vibrating against each other will result in chips and perhaps worse. I sent a very tight fitting cowl to my painter. He "fixed" it by using a piece of hacksaw blade and working it along the seam to create a uniform gap before painting. Still looks good after 7 years/800 hours.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Gap

It seems like it would be easy to nick the hinge with a hack saw. No?

Thanks for the reccommendations about the gap.

Michael

...on the 'wish list'

no, not a wish list for Santa, but every time I do my preflight, i REALLY wish I had an 'oil door' on the OTHER side of the cowl.
yeah, I know...NOBODY has this, right?
well, I really hate having to peer into that black hole thru the oil door, and pretend that I know my engine is ok.
or.....what if you wanted to charge the battery?
.....cowling has to come off.
jump start?
.....cowling off?, no, wait, that doesn't help!

I suppose it really depends on what accessories you have on the 'other' side, but anyway, just my two cents worth.
......hate not being able to flip a latch, and expose the entire engine.

end of rant. Your pink lady is looking mighty nice!

It seems like it would be easy to nick the hinge with a hack saw. No?

Thanks for the reccommendations about the gap.

Michael

I scratched the gap between two cowls and between cowls and fuselage by a piece of hacksaw while the cowls were installed like on your picture. The gap thicknes = the thickness of hacksaw. So, I've never had inconveniences with removing/ installing painted cowls before a flight day.

Michael,
Looking good! Looks like you and I are neck and neck on our -9A builds. I started the same time you did. I'm just starting on the cowling and engine hanging adventure.

My frugal panel...

My frugal panel is painted, and most instruments are installed. It consists Vans avionics and engine instruments. I picked up a used electric turn and bank coordinator along the way. Still hoping to find a good deal on a used electric AI, as you can see the big hole in the middle.

It is super fun seeing it in the airplane. It looks very nice!

Back to working on the baffles. Working on the panel was a nice, relaxing diversion.

Here's a picture.

146ab5b68a6945b1ae155c93bc5a15d1

Michael-

Go for it.

.........no, not a wish list for Santa, but every time I do my preflight, i REALLY wish I had an 'oil door' on the OTHER side of the cowl.
!

Just cut a square hole on the other side if you really want a door there. Lay some fiberglass over the cowl first, to get the same radius, over some wax paper, then build an inner lip and voila...done deal.

FWIW, "looking" in that black hole says nothing about your engine's "condition" any way...the runup tells you what you need to know. Buy a battery condition trickle charger and route the wires from the battery to near the oil door and simply plug it in for lengthy no-fly periods. It's what I've done on my -10.

Best,

Back