What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

firewall forward kit

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I tried to attach the IO 540 firewall forward kit list, but no joy on making it happen. I was wondering what items you concidered or did removed from the list. Im going with the vernier throttle/Prop/mixture set. but should I go to another vendor. what about the oil cooler, and other parts. Thanks

Oil cooler...up to you, based on advice I went airflow systems cooler and upped it one size. Also I went with after market hoses, firesleeved to my dims for each. Our plane is so different we didn't nixed prob 70% of the kit... I think we got baffling, and cables, even those we had to change out for diff lengths.

I built two RVs and did not use the Van's Firewall Forward kit for either one. Once one shifts to the finish part of a project there are so many choices on how to do systems install that some my find a "build it as you want" a preferred path over "install the standard stuff" approach. Others may not.

You can't go wrong with getting the Firewall Forward kit - just keep in mind it will most likely not cover everything you want to do.

On the throttle cable, I found the Van's recommended one too short. I got the one from Van's they list for the RV-7 (50.5") - it fits much better. Recommend running the cables through a small diameter fire sleeve.

Not sure if the Firewall Forward kit has the prop governor or not. I used the PCU-5000 on both RVs and recommend it. There is a group buy on these from time to time that can save you some money.

I'm also using the Airflow oil cooler (2006X) and recommend it. I have it mounted horizontally on the firewall instead of the Van's mount as I did not like it's convoluted air flow path. Just did a run from the east coast to Phoenix and oil temp stayed in the green the whole trip.

Carl

This is a pretty individual process and easy to do for yourself. Only you can know what equipment you already have (I already had the alternator, plus a backup, for instance) or what things you want to source yourself. The kit is not complete anyway, so you can count on having to place a few orders for parts. Given that, I leave out the control cables until I can measure the lengths for myself and then I'll put them in an order for other hardware.

The kit isn't complete? Nope, you will need all kinds of hardware: adel clamps of various types/sizes, bolts and washers for the same, and all-metal stop nuts (don't use nylon locking nuts in the engine compartment), just to name a few. My UPS guy and I got to be good friends when I was doing the FWF work on my RV-6A. Don't get me wrong, the kit is a huge help and I bought most of the kit for my RV-10, but don't assume you will not have to buy anything else.

My engine shop is taking care of the alternators (primary and back up). I had heard the throttle cables were minimal length, thanks for that heads up. On the air flow oil cooler, did you fabricate the cooler bracket, or was there one you ordered.

I used the factory bracket but modded it for a larger oil cooler. I put a piece of angle on the top to reach the new holes and made the opening larger for more airflow to hit the fins of the cooler.

Reviving this thread after 4 years of no comments
Am about to order the FWF kit.

Considering the TSflight lines hose kit, instead of stock ones.
Any other suggestions I can delete or add from Vans?
oil cooler?
Things that are missing in the FWF kit?

Thanks!
Oren

updates

Airflow 20007X oil cooler. It is one size large than the stock one; about 3/4" longer and 2 more rows. The mod is very simple, basically adding a piece of aluminum angle to the stock mount and opening the hole a bit.

If you are ordering the baffle kit, note that the 4" SCAT FLANGE IS NOT INCLUDED in the kit. Don't forget it because it is the first step in fabricating the baffles.

Reviving this thread after 4 years of no comments
Am about to order the FWF kit.

Considering the TSflight lines hose kit, instead of stock ones.
Any other suggestions I can delete or add from Vans?
oil cooler?
Things that are missing in the FWF kit?

Thanks!
Oren

Oren,

Thanks for the opportunity to earn your business.

Here is a link to the RV-10 FWF hose options as well as the items you would delete from Vans to install our FWF hoses.

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10ff.html

They come in a standard firesleeve, or our new integral firesleeve option.

Both have a 10 year warranty on them.

Feel free to give Tom or I a call with any questions.

Steve

Oren, I stayed with the standard oil cooler and no problems, but nothing wrong with more. I have TS flight line fuel lines. Run your fuel flow (red cube) after the fuel Servo and avoid 90s in your fuel line. The Standard solenoids are fine, keep in mind the starter solenoid is installed upside down. I did not use the baffling from Vans. I used McFarlane Aviation bi flex baffle seal. More expensive but make a great seal and minimizes rubbing on the upper cowl. I don’t think you need stainless steal hardware under the cowl. I installed McFarlane vernier throttle, prop and mixture. Very pleased.

Last edited:
McFarlane Aviation baffles

Thanks Rich,
I am new to this, never installed an engine or fabricated baffles
Any chance you can elaborate what are the benefits of installing McFarlane Aviation baffles?

One important note and change that we have made online to Firewall Forward Hose kit ordering for the RV-10. A lot of builders have chosen to utilize the transducer mount block to mount their manifold pressure sensor as opposed to the standard mounting location shown in the plans.

We have updated our online ordering to reflect this option

http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10ff.html

wp7eaa2158_06.png

If you are ordering a FWF hose kit from us and would like to discuss, please give us a call! We love talking RVs.

Happy Building
Steve

Back