What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Tail Wheel for RV-9

Truthinaction

I'm New Here
Hey guys, I have a 2010 RV 9. I'd like to replace my stock tail wheel with something better suited for rough terrain. Do any of you have any recommendations? What does the stock unit weigh? Thanks!

JD Air

Check us out at www.jdair.com. We have tail wheel assembly that raises the tail and is lighter yet stronger than the stock Vans unit. Very handy for the unimproved landings.

I installed the Aviation Products Tailwheel. I have 50 hrs and no issues. Very reasonably priced. http://www.apitailwheels.com/contact/contact.html

AviationProductsTailwheel.jpg

Get a Doug Bell tailwheel fork and DJM tailwheel. The fork does not raise the tail substantially, which is a very good thing with the -9!

Then change how your tail springs attach. This gives you better control and reduces wear on your rudder horn. Here is how I did it, scroll down to the 5/27/07 entry.

The Aviation Products and Doug Bell designs are the forks with the greatest ground clearance. The Bell fork raises the tail about an inch and a half or two, which was an improvement in my -6. I think the Aviation Products fork geometry is about the same, but the hinge knuckle itself is a little lower profile... I can't tell if it raises more or less than the Bell fork.

Here is a post I put together a number of years ago discussing ground clearance available on the various forks:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=693101&postcount=280

Bell forks are now made by Vince at Flyboy Accessories (www.flyboyaccessories.com), who also makes the Screaming Eagle and Condor forks.

Last edited:
Contact Vince Frazier at Flyboy Accessories. He built a larger Bell-style fork for me that takes an 8" diameter pneumatic TW. A bit heavier than the standard, but much better ride over rocks and the canyons that they call "expansion cracks" on the ramp at RTS. I believe that he's now building these on a semi-regular basis but they're not yet on his website.

Greg

We produce the Screaming Eagle and Bell forks. And the Condor fork too.

Check out our web site at www.flyboyaccessories.com for more info.

Or give me a call via our toll-free line at 888-835-9269

(FWIW, Blake is getting married on Saturday, Aug. 15. Many of you met him at Oshkosh. He's the young, handsome one. So, forgive us if we don't answer the phones right away this weekend!! :) )

I installed the Aviation Products Tailwheel. I have 50 hrs and no issues. Very reasonably priced. http://www.apitailwheels.com/contact/contact.html

AviationProductsTailwheel.jpg

I just got an RV6, it has the old original vans tailwheel with the swivel bolt clearing the ground about 1.5" in front of the wheel, makes me very uneasy that it could snag and ruin the rear of my plane I have been reading all the old post about the optional styles, Are you satisfied with this one? Which model/style number is this one? I got on their web site and they have several models to choose from, some 10 degree some 20 degree, what size wheel does yours have? It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see a little more above the cowling while taxi-ing and looks like it would raise the tail an inch or so. Thanks in advance for your opinion and info,, Mark

I just got an RV6, it has the old original vans tailwheel with the swivel bolt clearing the ground about 1.5" in front of the wheel, makes me very uneasy that it could snag and ruin the rear of my plane I have been reading all the old post about the optional styles, Are you satisfied with this one? Which model/style number is this one? I got on their web site and they have several models to choose from, some 10 degree some 20 degree, what size wheel does yours have? It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see a little more above the cowling while taxi-ing and looks like it would raise the tail an inch or so. Thanks in advance for your opinion and info,, Mark

I had an API for a numbr of years, and it worked great! However....I switched to a Bell-style (they look very much thr same) becasue the API use a differnt size axel bolt and swivel barrel. The Bell style uses the same sizes as stock - so you can buy parts from a number of vendors. If you find yourself needing a part for the API, you are more limited on where you can find spares.

With three RV's in the family, I wanted the whole fleet to be standardized for spares.

Are you satisfied with this one? Which model/style number is this one?...It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see a little more above the cowling while taxi-ing and looks like it would raise the tail an inch or so. Thanks in advance for your opinion and info,, Mark

Mark, want to try one cheap? This one has about 500 hours. A little pivot and tire wear, but it works fine. Price a new one and figure this one at 50%.

I wanted to try one of fancy JDAir ball bearing pivots.

Mark, mine is the 6134 20 degree. The lady that answers the phone can help you and she is very knowledgeable about which one works best on your RV. On the other hand, it looks like Dan has you fixed up! ;)

tail wheel

I thank all you guys for the great feedback. Other than cutting, drilling, and "lathe-ing" my spring I think my issue is covered. Thanks Mark

Back