What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E615PP - to countersink or dimple

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Seems VANs left this open to interpretation because I see no instruction for flush rivetting the k1100 nut plate to the E-615PP.

It appears people have used either countersink or dimple of the E-615PP. Problem is dimpling means you then have to play with the k1100 to allow the dimple to set in

BUT

if you countersink it seems you may end up with an enlarged hole.

Given this is just for a cover plate attach point doesn't matter much but I am definitely leaning to countersink because I don't want to touch the k1100 if I can avoid it. All the strain should be on the k1100 so setting a rivet is not for strength but just to set in position, yes?

Is there a best practice?

Thanks All

Michael B.

You will get many different answers and most will be correct. I got the nas1097 rivets from vans in -3 and -4 sizes. These are also know as oops rivets. They are reduced head rivets. You can countersink them and take out a lot less material. I just use my deburr bit and give it a few turns. Like you said, the rivets are there just to hold the nutplate in place and to keep it from spinning.

great suggestion

and looks like Aircraft Spruce sells an Oops kit that includes 3 sizes of #3 &4 (12-03781). Excerpt from the description:

"The 3/32? NAS 1097 rivets are great for installing nutplates-- you can deburr hole (instead of countersinking) and the reduced head on the NAS 1097 will fit."

Guess I know whats in my next order.

Thanks.

I dimple the nutplates. You need to essentially ruin a set of dimple dies because you have to grind a relief on the female die. 2 or 3 good hits in the c frame and you have a reasonable dimple.

Install nut plates with NAS1097

You will get many different answers and most will be correct. I got the nas1097 rivets from vans in -3 and -4 sizes. These are also know as oops rivets. They are reduced head rivets. You can countersink them and take out a lot less material. I just use my deburr bit and give it a few turns. Like you said, the rivets are there just to hold the nutplate in place and to keep it from spinning.

+1. . . Install 20 plates with NAS1097 rivets and you will never use anything else.

Back