What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

smoke system helper - anyone have this system?

Looks like a neat way to utilize the angled space behind the seats of a 6/7/9 if you haven't already used that space for something else. My -6 already has a Whelen strobe power pack mounted there on one side, and the ELT on the other. I've got a big rectangular Smoking Airplanes tank and pump assembly that's removable and mounts to the center of the baggage floor with thumbscrews and brackets... it pretty much ruins most of the baggage-carrying area back there when installed too.

I noticed something on that website that kinda worries me... he uses filtered, old auto trans fluid as smoke oil. Isn't vaporized transmission fluid a bit too much on the dangerously flammable side to be safe for this? (see http://garrett-engineers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=82)

yeah I like the container/pump etc.. but was just wondering about whether the setup was worth the price and if it was a solid unit.

Looks like a neat way to utilize the angled space behind the seats of a 6/7/9 if you haven't already used that space for something else. My -6 already has a Whelen strobe power pack mounted there on one side, and the ELT on the other. I've got a big rectangular Smoking Airplanes tank and pump assembly that's removable and mounts to the center of the baggage floor with thumbscrews and brackets... it pretty much ruins most of the baggage-carrying area back there when installed too.

I noticed something on that website that kinda worries me... he uses filtered, old auto trans fluid as smoke oil. Isn't vaporized transmission fluid a bit too much on the dangerously flammable side to be safe for this? (see http://garrett-engineers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=79&Itemid=82)

Well... welded aluminum tanks are generally pretty sturdy things. Whether it's worth the cost is up to whatever value the purchaser places on such an installation. If I were in the market for such, I'd seriously consider it myself since it would help get some weight shifted a bit more forward than my existing smoke oil tank and aft weight in the baggage area is an always an issue on 320-engined 6/7/9 models with lightweight props.

I know Marvin and have seen his tanks and system. Marvin is a Swift driver as I am. The tanks and nozzles I have seen are first class. I especially like his strap on nozzles that do not require welding. Marvin can give you all the info on automatic tran fluid. He uses it because it is cheap. His system will work with any smoke oil. Several Swifts use his system....the tank is the square one for the Swift. I did see his new RV tank at Oshkosh....looked excellent.

My 2 cents
Dave Carpenter
Swift 78137:)

I'm preparing to be the first customer of that "angled" tank. I had planned to do my own fiberglass version of this since I think its a great way to utilize that space. Doing this, I keep more of my baggage area useful. When I saw his welded version, I figured I will save the time and headache of doing my own--and its a slick looking tank. Flop tube is already built in and comes with a vented cap. Marvin and I discussed it before he left for OSH, he was very helpful answering my questions. I'll do a full writeup on my blog about the install. The pump and injectors have already been bought and are partially installed.

cool. yes. waiting for your writeup!

I'm preparing to be the first customer of that "angled" tank. I had planned to do my own fiberglass version of this since I think its a great way to utilize that space. Doing this, I keep more of my baggage area useful. When I saw his welded version, I figured I will save the time and headache of doing my own--and its a slick looking tank. Flop tube is already built in and comes with a vented cap. Marvin and I discussed it before he left for OSH, he was very helpful answering my questions. I'll do a full writeup on my blog about the install. The pump and injectors have already been bought and are partially installed.

Smoke

I received my kit today. The tank is the main thing and let me tell you as a guy who has built 33 flying machines; the tank is excellent quality!! Fits perfect in that space!

Installing soon!

Marvin is ...

Ron, Marvin is in the hangar next to me here at North Little Rock. He builds a nice system and we're starting to put them in our formation group. It just sort of makes you feel like you're inferior if everyone else is smoking and you're not ;)

Marvin should be at the Petit Jean Flyin on October 25 26 & 27. I'm sure he will have all his stuff.

Bill

I just used my smoke system this morning to make sure that a Twin Otter jump plane out of the USAF Academy saw me this morning.

Just to reply about using the used automatic transmission fluid as smoke oil. I am not an engineer or anything but I have used it for around 25 years now and it works great. It does not burn, it just smokes real good. I have heard of people mixing diesel fuel or kerosene with it and I highly do not recommend doing that because you might be creating a flame thrower instead of a smoke system. I have used it in engines with short, straight stacks, engines with mufflers, and with engines without mufflers and it has performed perfectly. Because my oil is less than a dollar a gallon, I use my smoke very freely. There is one gotcha about it, sooner or later the impurities in it will clog up the oil injector nozzles and you have to clean them but to save $14.00 per gallon I will clean my nozzles at oil change time when the cowling is already off.
By the way, those tanks that fit behind the seats are advertised as 4 gallon tanks but they really hold 4.25 gallons. I have expanded them to 7 gallons for people who want to use them for long range fuel tanks. Two of them will give the average RV and extra 300 miles of range. Happy to answer any questions.
[email protected] http://www.smoke-system-helper.com

I just used my new smoke system from Marvin

Used my newly installed smoke system from smoke-system-helper.com in a formation flyover event today. Below is the first text I received from a pilot that saw us and knew which plane I was flying.

"Your smoke is great! Where did you mount your injectors?" As directed in Marvins easy to understand directions, I mounted my injectors as close as possible to the engine cylinders so the oil is in the exhaust for as long as possible.

SuperDave
RV-7 with angled smoke tank behind the seat.

smoke

I put on of his systems on my hanger neighbors RV 8. Good kit complete and the tank is great. I would use it for sure. The 7 behind the seat tank looks good, no wasted space.

In my 7a

I have one of Marvin's systems and really like it! An afternoon install and it works well! Little or no residue on belly!

I installed the system for safety reasons. .... At least that's what I told my wife :rolleyes: It's a ton of fun :)

Last edited:
I recently purchased a kit from Smoke Systems Helper for my RV-8 and am very impressed with it. Easy to install and works great with a lot less use of oil than the older system I had in my Pitts. Burns very clean with no residue on the belly.

I am not planning to put a smoke system in my -7 but I had a system in a Steen Skybolt that I owned for a number of years. I was told to use concrete form release oil in it, it worked fine and never clogged anything up since it was new. I bought my oil in 5 gallon cans from the local concrete supply.

I chose front baggage recessed area ...

On the 8 with the A1B6 - smoke system in the front or rear baggage area and why?
Thanks,
OGee
The deep well allows for installation that is "hidden". ABout 4+ gallons tht you can have a cover flap that presents a flat surface for all of the rest of the baggage area. No smoke oil on baggage. No need to run hose from back.

Pump goes FORWARD firewall.

Contact me for installation pictures etc.

James

Install question

I'm building a 7, and bought the hidden tank system. I also have the almost RV 14 mod. Marv said the top of the tank mounts to the forward side of the seat back brace. Does anyone have a picture of how they mounted it?

The back brace on the mod isn't very wide, and there is not a lot of metal on the top tank flange. Not sure if I need to add a piece of angle or aluminum to it to make it fit better.

Curious what others have done.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Back