What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel pump cover

joew

Well Known Member
Im moving quite slowly on my built, but am getting to the point of working on the center covers, only to find out that Vans no longer sells the kit for the fuel pump cover.

Im planning using the EFII fuel pump, but have no idea how to get started fabri ating the cover. Not wanting to recreate the wheel and make life more difficult, does anyone have dimensions and photos on how they created or modified Vans center cover to work.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

This is how I did it

Hi Joe,

I have a ECII fuel pump too and I just recently installed it in my RV-7. I also used a Flow Ezy 3000 25 micron post-filter (I've got a Flow Ezy 3000 74 micron pre-filters in the wing roots). I think I got the last of the "old" boost pump covers from Van's. I don't have the dimensions but I can send you a PDF of the plans and you can probably make one from it.

The pix below show how I mounted the post-filter on top of the ECII boost pump. I mounted everything with various 6061-T6 aluminum angles. It's much stiffer, stronger and lighter than used a thin flat plate (more work too...). This system also allows me to add some Adel clamps to it since I'll have a lot of wiring going by this thing. Not necessarily the easiest way to mount the boost pump but it's really strong, stiff and light.

I've got rough PDF drawings of all of the parts. Just email me and I can send them to you.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

BoostPumpAssy_zps3fa8c1b0.jpg

Aircraft001_zps020fa587.jpg

Aircraft002_zpsb1f5a8d0.jpg

Aircraft007_zpsd3a12342.jpg

Aircraft001_zpsb7f02e84.jpg

Aircraft003_zps90dcc4c3.jpg

Aircraft004_zpsbbf57a8c.jpg

Last edited:
I have lots of photos of what I did in this Gallery (about 100 photos in).

IMG_2010-M.jpg

I shortened the lower shelf of the center tunnel cover and made up a much stronger shelf out of thicker aluminum sheet. This supports the pump better and still allows you to run wires underneath.

I had some leak issues with the fittings on the EFII fuel filter. Ditch that one and get the flo-ezy filter. Much better quality and it is more maintainable.

IMG_5022-M.jpg

I also searched on Van's site, and they still list the fuel pump side covers.
FUEL PUMP SIDE COVER
F-7115B-L
$9.30

FUEL PUMP SIDE COVER
F-7115B-R
$9.30

Not sure why they don't have the top cover F-7115C, but you could easily cut and bend one up to match the sides that are still available. Check DWG OP-21.

Pump cover

Joe: I mocked up the cover using my favorite medium, file folders and masking tape to make patterns. Send me your email address and I will send you some photos.

Don Broussard

RV 9 rebuild in Progress

[email protected]

Hi Cajunwings

I'm in the same position, I would appreciate looking at the pictures.

Maybe via email or posting them here.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. Any help is appreciated. I plan on using some file folders as templates and I'm sure Vans PDF would be great.

Sounds like Vans is not in any hurry to engineer a cover, so we are on our own until they do.

The pictures sure do help

I like what you did with your pump, using a tray as a second level. What did you use to mount it underneath? Almost looks like a bracket of some kind. Thanks for the photos and the tip on the fuel filter.

So far, everyone I talked to likes the pump

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. Any help is appreciated. I plan on using some file folders as templates and I'm sure Vans PDF would be great.

Sounds like Vans is not in any hurry to engineer a cover, so we are on our own until they do.

The pictures sure do help

Did someone check with Van's about this? They still sell pumps, and plans, and all the parts but the cover are listed on the webstore...perhaps it's just an error in the webstore database?

Redesign

Did someone check with Van's about this? They still sell pumps, and plans, and all the parts but the cover are listed on the webstore...perhaps it's just an error in the webstore database?

Vans said engineering is redesigning the kit and hope to have it done this month.

I had called several days ago and was told that engineering was working on it, but he did not know how much of a priority it was for them.
Maybe the side panels would be helpful to start with, then just create a cover

I didn't like the appearance of the "dog house," so I simply extended the center cover's sides by about 1.75" for its entire length. For ease of removal, I cut the vertical part of the cover off at the bend, then fitted some aluminum angle and nut plates.

It sure makes for a straightforward install, with the filter, pump/valve body and Red Cube all in a line.

I didn't like the appearance of the "dog house," so I simply extended the center cover's sides by about 1.75" for its entire length. For ease of removal, I cut the vertical part of the cover off at the bend, then fitted some aluminum angle and nut plates.

If you decide to go with a Classic Aero interior, the stock front carpeting will not work with this.

Also, I find that on longer trips, I really like to stretch my legs out and not having anything forward of the fuel pump housing gives lots of room to do that without banging into any obstructions.

Nice-looking installation, just will have some impacts downstream, if that's how you go.

Check out Bonehead Composites

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/23.html

Although not shown on their website, they produced a fuel cover from Carbon fiber that also doubles as a cup holder. I installed one and it is real nice. They used to advertise here . . . you will need to call and ask for Chris - he is an RV builder as well.

If you decide to go with a Classic Aero interior, the stock front carpeting will not work with this.

Also, I find that on longer trips, I really like to stretch my legs out and not having anything forward of the fuel pump housing gives lots of room to do that without banging into any obstructions.

Nice-looking installation, just will have some impacts downstream, if that's how you go.
True. I'm going to have classic Aero make two separate pieces of carpet, and then glue some carpet on to the center tunnel. When I want to stretch out, the additional height of the center cover is not a hindrance, but I'm a big lanky dude, so YMMV.

True. I'm going to have classic Aero make two separate pieces of carpet, and then glue some carpet on to the center tunnel. When I want to stretch out, the additional height of the center cover is not a hindrance, but I'm a big lanky dude, so YMMV.

Classic Aero rocks...I can't say enough good things about them. They made me an excellent cover for the flap motor housing (which I suggested they add to their accessories list) for only $100...fits perfectly, and even included features to accommodate the bolt on the outside. When I found a baggage compartment side panel that got chafed by the vent line on my smoke system, they made me a new one no charge, despite numerous attempts by me to pay them for it. I'm putting together a couple of covers for the inside of the canopy sideskirts to cover the rivets...they sent me material free of charge.

Classic Aero is awesome...highly recommended. I have the full Aviator interior and love it.

I was looking at my fuel pump kit plans today and saw that the cover came with it. I can get you the part numbers the next time I am in the shop if you want them. I bought my fuel pump kit several years ago so it may not be the same. I was out at the AFI hanger the other day and was shown a new different version of their pump set up. I do not know when they started suppling this to Vans but it could be that the new pump needs a different cover shape.

Back