What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak Auto Pilot Sensitivity Settings

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Does anybody have the correct settings or method of finding the correct settings for the TruTrak ADI Pilot II auto pilot. Mine works good in cruise, but when I shoot an approach with it (Garmin 430W) the closer I get to the ground the more violent it gets (stick going back and forth) trying to stay on course. I guess this is because the ILS becomes much more sensitive the closer you get to the ground. I have followed the TruTrak first flight set-up process, but no luck. Thanks

I did as you and went with factory settings. Great at cruise with or without turbulence. Totally different story at 80 kts.

Take the TT booklet with you on your next flight after reading/making notes in it on the ground.

I adjusted the LAT Activity setting from zero to a higher number that kept it from being too jittery, while up at 5000 and did some slow flight...perfect now. I also set the TRQ down until I could easily override the servos...maybe 6 instead of 12.

Last edited:
Trutrak Set-up

Wayne,

Thanks for the tip. I went flying today. I got up to cruise speed and turned on the autopilot. It did fine. I then reduced my speed to 80/90 knots (ILS speed) and it got erratic. I then went into set-up and turned the sensitivity down as you suggested and it smoothed out. I finished the set-up and then went back up to cruise speed and it did fine. I did have to keep the altitude sensitivity up higher then the heading so it would hold within 50', but the altitude hold is not on during approaches, so this is not an issue.

Back