What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Pilot Servo

joew

Well Known Member
Not sure if you could help me or if this was already covered. I'm planning on installing a auto-pilot in my RV, but I'm not sure which manufacturer I will use-Dynon, Garmin, Tru-Trak etc.

Here is my question- Are auto pilot servo mounts universal? I would like to install the mounts now and decide later on the AP. Will a Dynon mount fit a tru-trak servo and vice versa?

Any light you could shed would be great!!!

Thanks,

Joe Walker

Not sure if you could help me or if this was already covered. I'm planning on installing a auto-pilot in my RV, but I'm not sure which manufacturer I will use-Dynon, Garmin, Tru-Trak etc.

Here is my question- Are auto pilot servo mounts universal? I would like to install the mounts now and decide later on the AP. Will a Dynon mount fit a tru-trak servo and vice versa?

Any light you could shed would be great!!!

Thanks,

Joe Walker

Yes, the vendors you mentioned are mount-compatible. However, you will need to make a decision on the vendor before you do wiring.

V

Or maybe not...

Just last week I removed a Trio EZ Autopilot roll servo and control head (still for sale - $1400) from my RV-7 and replaced it with a Dynon roll servo. The mounts are NOT compatible! First of all, the Trio servo control arm is on the side of the servo, while the Dynon servo control arm is on the mounting face of the servo. Second, the footprint of each servo is different - by about 1 1/2" on the mounting surface. Finally, each servo has a preferred method of installation. the preferred method for the Trio is in the outmost rib bay on the left wing. The preferred method for the Dynon is mounted directly to the aileron bellcrank just outboard of the fuel tank in the right wing.

The good news (at least for the Dynon and the Trio, is that you really don't need to make any decisions now. Run conduit out both wings, and when it's time to make your choice, it's easy to pull the correct wire, and the install kits are easy to add after your build is complete (speaking from experience!)

Thanks for that info. I still have no idea which way to go. Want to install servo mount and pitot tube but dont know if I want to go Garmin or Dynon.

Any thoughts

Back