What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan Engines

joew

Well Known Member
Anybody hear of Titans IO 340? Any idea how smooth and or reliable it is compared to a IO 360? It sounds good, but I have not been able to find anything out about it which is concerning.

I still have a bit of time for an engine but would like to have my choices narrowed down. What about ECI's fuel injection? Any pros or cons?

Thanks

Nobody

Nobody has any information or opinions? Or has this topic already been covered. If it has, point me in the right direction!!

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Titan is ECI's brand name. I have an ECI Titan xo-320. I think it's great, I too am curious if anyone has experience with the 340's. I looked at that option at one point.

The (I)O-340 was a certified Lycoming engine before they developed the O-360.

Lycoming figured it didn?t need a 160, 170, and 180 hp engine after they released the O-360 so they dropped the 340.

The O-340 is basically a stroked O-320. Thus you can buy a conversion kit from ECi and put it in an O-320.

The reason you don?t hear much about them is the ECi kit costs more than an O-360, yet puts out less power and doesn?t weigh that much less.

When I was shopping for a replacement engine for my O-290-D2, I took a long look at the O-340. In the end I elected to save some money and go with the O-360. I selected the tapered cylinder barrels which save a pound and a half each, for a total of six pounds. Then I went with P-mags, a flyweight starter, and Catto prop to further reduce the weight.

Now I have a 188 hp (ECi?s number) engine that can run premium unleaded MOGAS, if 100LL goes away.

Info

Thanks Bill,
This kind of stuff paints everything in a different light. I appreciate the background information.

Joe,

You can contact Richard Fowler at America's Aircraft Engines. He can tell you all about the 340. 1-888-371-1371. He's a great fellow and very knowledgable. He also sells great aircraft engines.

David Watson

Back