What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help!! Possible L elevator problem

joew

Well Known Member
Hello all!! As I was admiring my handiwork since I am almost finished with my empannage (so I thought) I noticed the manufactured heads on some of the rivets that attach the skins to the stiffeners on my left elevator are not flat and appear to be rounded. The stiffeners were flush to the skin and the shop heads measured fine.

I had noticed it earlier, but thought it was left over tape from back riveting, so I kept on building. After I placed everything together and began to clean off the tape I noticed the problem.

The right elevator is fine. I have no idea how this could have happened. Any thoughts? I was considering buying a new elevator skin or even buying a complete L elevator set as I'm certain to damage more parts if I try to tear everything apart.

Any ideas?

Here are some photos I hope:
Empannage%20together%20%282%29.jpg

Completed assembly

100_0177.jpg

Overall view of elevator skin

100_0176.jpg

Closer shot of problem rivets

100_0175.jpg

100_0169.jpg

Another overall look

Joe W
RV-7
Litchfield, OH

Last edited:
Hi Joe,

I can't see the pictures, but I would avoid re-opening the elevator. You will certainly end up with more damage (please, don't ask me how I know...)

If you can try to re-post the pictures, it'll be easier to understand if your rivets are acceptable or not.

Hi Joe,

I'm new to RV building also and at about the same point in construction of an RV-7 as you are. Is only the left elevator affected? If so was there any difference from building the right one? Was the elevator skin tight against the steel back rivet plate, or maybe sitting on something softer, like a wooden table. I'm just trying to think of what might cause the edges of the manufactured head to curve, giving you the rounded appearence. I can't see the pictures yet either, so I'm only guessing (not to mention, inexperienced...at RV building and computers). I agree that you shouldn't start drilling rivets yet. Give these guys on the forums time to help you first. There's alot of talented people on here and they've already helped me a few times.

Brad

Last edited:
Elevator

Both elevators were completed using the same process. Back rivet plate on a wooden bench. I guess I am unable to post the pics. How do I get authorization todo that? The skin was pressed against the plate with the stiffener. I used duct tape as my rivet tape though. On my other pieces I used electrical tape. Could have that caused the problem?

I tried taking addidional photos, but I do not think they would show enough.

If anyone has any ideas on how to post, I'd like to know.

It looks good, but you feel the rounded areas when you runs your finger down the rivet line. Thanks for the input

Joe

posting pics require the use of a 3rd party site. I use Photobucket.com

posting pics faq

Also I think duct tape is too thick as rivet tape. Probably allowed too much flexing. I use ordinary scotchtape, cheap and easy

Trailing edge?

The elevator skin tends to lift off the back rivet plate when riveting near the trailing edge. This usually happens when you open the skin up to gain better access with the rivet gun. Using rivet tape with the clear center makes it easier to spot problems like this when they happen.

I think your use of duct tape is the problem. The thickness raised the skin and prevented the manufactured heads from resting flush on the back-rivet plate.

Is it all stiffener rivets on that elevator or just some? Are they just slightly raised or does it feel substantial. Is the skin damaged? I'd probably start by drilling out and removing the skin and replacing the stiffener rivets. If you mess up any parts in the dis-assembly you can reorder parts as needed.

The important opinion is yours. What will it take to make you happy with the final result? There's your solution.

I've never used one, but what do you guys think about using a rivet shaver to level off the heads of the rivets? If the duct tape did cause the rounding, I can't imagine that the small amount of rivet material shaved off would affect the strength significantly. I don't know, I'm just coming up with ideas.

Brad

Last edited:
60 Degree C-Set

I used the 60 Degree C-Set (got it on e-bay for $2!) on the practice airfoil kit and got to the next to the last rivet just fine. It was still too big for the last rivet, however.

Haven't started my tail kit yet. I just got the tracking # from Van's and it arrives Tuesday.

Vans telephone call

Well, you guys are right. The only varible in my epic story was the use of duct tape. It appears as though it is too thick and allowed the rivet some wiggle room. I called Vans, I measured the height above the skin with a feeler gauge. They are .005 above the skin. All of the rivets appear tight. The shop heads were fine and all of the stiffeners were tight against the skin.
Vans opined that since the elevator is closed that I should leave them alone as long as the rivets look good and there is no skin damage, as to not cause more damage. That is what I will do. Once painted everything would smooth out.

Maybe I will touch them with a micro-shaver. Anybody ever have any luck with those?

Thanks for all of your input!! Have a great New Year

Joe

My resolution.......NO MORE DUCT TAPE :eek:

Photos are posted

I did get the photos to work in the event you still want to see them. I can not figure out how to make them larger though. They are attached to the first post.

Joe

Back