What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Wingtip NAV Antenna

ten4teg

Well Known Member
I purchased Van's Wingtip Antenna to use for my NAV Radio (Garmin 430). I was surprised when I got it relative to its simplicity. Anyway, I am not receiving a good signal. I am not getting any nav signal and if I fly over the VOR and turn the volume up, I can barely hear the identifier within the static. I had the radio checked and it works fine.
Has anybody had any luck with this cheap antenna? Can anybody recommend a good replacement that will fit and work good in the wingtip.
I am still in my test phase with about 16 hours. I love the airplane. Thanks, Tom

It doesn't work

Yup I had one...ripped it out and installed an Archer wingtip antenna...Much better.

Not perfect as you will always get sheilding by the airframe when turned the wrong way..But its works well enough.

Frank

Van's Junk

Frank, Thanks for the feedback. Can you please let me know what model Archer antenna you used. I have the old style (straight, flat top) wingtips. Tom

Tell Bob what you have and what you're using it for and he will get you the right one. I got both my NAV and Marker Beacon antenna from him and he was great to work with. The only thing I changed was replacing the MB cable with RG400U.

Back