Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 PM

About a year ago like a dummy I pushed my 12 back into the hangar without first removing my car. CRUNCH on one AST. Well at least that’s one AST with the new ribs!
Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Default Before Further Flight?

My RV 12 is here in Marco Island for the month, far from its home base in Marysville, OH and my Rotax/RV12 qualified shop in Delaware, OH. I concur as to some confusion in the wording of SB 10-02-02 (in no small measure owing to my lack of builder/repair skills). In particular it takes some effort to determine where the “inspection” for cracks begins and ends, and where the “fix” begins. This post raises a good question on the scope of the inspection — is it required to fully remove the stabilator and spar brackets before conducting the inspection, or is it sufficient to bore scope, magnaflux or penetrant dye the spar area with just the tail cone fairings removed? I am very fortunate to have a master mechanic willing to do whatever is required, including fabricating the new parts and installing the full fix. But, it would be much more efficient if an inspection could be done short of removing the stabilator assembly. Because if no cracks are found, we can button up the fairings and fly until next annual/100 hours. I guess the bottom line issue is — can the SB be read to permit a compliant inspection without removing the stabilator? Given the SB’s admonition about the potential difficulty in discovering any cracks, would this be safe in any event? My RV was built and flew the end of 2013, and has now 200 hours; always hangared. Thank you for any advice.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Exercoupeguy...in order to do the SB inspection the Stabilator needs to be removed and parts disassembled in order to inspect for cracks...according to the SB.
Things you need to know...
For SLSA RV12s the SB is required to be done.
For ELSA RV12s the SB is not mandatory for further flight, per the regulations, but recommended.

In my opinion...
Inspecting according to the SB without actually making the SB repair, would be a waste of time, since you would have to do it all over again. (Unless you are using it for training or something and need to get it flying again right away.)
Inspecting by only removing the fairings to look at the HS spar would not even begin to cover what the SB details.

So far, according to the previous posters, only high time RV12s have shown cracks, but that may not really mean anything, depending on how individual planes have been treated.

It is legal to continue flying an ELSA RV12 with this SB not completed, and I'm sure many ELSA RV12 owners will continue to do so until they get the parts and decide to do the SB.

So, you need to decide what is prudent, for you.

Just my 2cents worth
Old 02-21-2018, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the sound advice. I am very fortunate to have an experienced mechanic ready in the next couple of days to open things up and install the sb fix.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf3543 View Post
Exercoupeguy...in order to do the SB inspection the Stabilator needs to be removed and parts disassembled in order to inspect for cracks...according to the SB.
I'd like to see Van's publish an official ruling/clarification of this. The wording in the SB is vague regarding initial inspection requirements. Are you suggesting that the entire fleet of RV-12's be grounded immediately (including at remote airports) until the stab is removed, hinges removed, dye penetrant applied and inspected? That is unreasonable at best. The SB requires that the mod be performed at the NEXT 100 hour/condition/annual if no cracks are found in the visual inspection. That makes sense.
RV-12 builder assist and phase 1 flight test
EAA/AOPA/Vans Air Force 2018 Supporter
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswalden View Post
Are you suggesting that the entire fleet of RV-12's be grounded immediately (including at remote airports) until the stab is removed, hinges removed, dye penetrant applied and inspected? That is unreasonable at best.
No (at least not in a binding regulatory sense).

An E-LSA RV-12 owner is not bound to follow any inspection requirement published in a S.B. An E-LSA owner can make their own determination regarding what is an appropriate action for their airplane.

S-LSA is bound to follow it.

Most people would consider it also unreasonable if Van's was very casual about the inspection requirement, and someone died because of it.

This is a very new discovery with not a lot of information yet, and evidence of an airplane with less than 1/3rd the hours of the prototype, having cracks worse than the prototype (the cracks in the SB document photos) added to the uncertainty.
When dealing with uncertainty's, a very conservative approach is the right approach.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 AM

Default Stab Bearings

I plan to order the parts for SB 18-02-02 and SB 18-02-03.
I would also like to order parts for the SB 16-08-01 stab bearings service bulletin, which brings up 3 questions:

1: What are the MS 21256-1 Lock Clips. I saw no mention of them in the SB. Do I need them? And, if so where do they go?

2: Two different bearing are mentioned: (1) VA146 replacement or (2) Bearing DW4K2X.

I will have the stab off, and I will be removing the current bearings. Is it best to reinstall with the locktite, or just replace them with the new Bearing DW4K2X ? Since I will have them out anyway, I would like to perform the best fix.

Thanks. Any thoughts or help in understanding will be greatly appreciated.

Tom
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 AM

The clips are used to lock the turnbuckles in the stabilator cables. You will need at least one if you elect to relieve the tension in the cables to facilitate reconnecting them. (Because the original will most likely be destroyed removing it.)

It’s a standard part, cheap, and a good idea to have a few on hand if you do your own work.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Default For what it’s worth

Tom,

I was following the same logic and concerns so I spoke with Support and parts at Vans on Wednesday.

What I learned was first if you followed the SB procedure on SB 16..... involving the bearing and if it checked out good no need to replace it. The new bearing is no different than the current bearing, and my choice is if it’s not broken or not a new design improvement, I’m not going to mess with it. Your choice however.

The clips mentioned are for the adjustment turnbuckle/s of the cables to the stabilator accessed through the belly inspection holes. These lock the turnbuckle after the correct tension is achieved. Parts at Vans said two clips are included with the parts for SB 18-02-02 in case there is a need to readjustment the cables after inspection or compliance of this SB. However this will only accommodate one turnbuckle

Hope this helps.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold

Last edited by funflying : 02-22-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:28 AM

My A & P and I removed my stabilator, inspected the spar and found no cracks. We will proceed with installing the band-aids when the parts arrive, hopefully today so I can get back in the air. My RV12 has 250 hours, is hangared and I place a gust lock on when parked outside.