What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Premature ECI Ring Failure

FLTENG

Well Known Member
With approx 350 hours my #3 ECI cerminil Cyl(purchased new in 2006) suffered premature piston ring failure. Symptoms were, increasing oil usage up to 1 qt/hr, blue smoke on start up and leak down test of 64/80 and high crank case pressures. After removing cyl, I discovered much pitting/missing chrome in the top compression ring, a very oil wet and blackened piston crown and carbon encrustation on the intake valve stem below the guide. Removing the valves revealed pitted seats, both ex and intake. No galling of the cylinder wall was evident.
When removing piston rings I noticed that they had lost much of their spring tension.
Anybody else with anything similar.
Cheers, Hugh

Has this engine seen high engine temperatures?

Is it possible that you have experienced some pretty high engine temperatures?

Larry Tompkins
N544WB RV-6A
W52 Goheen Field

pitting sounds like detonation, = high temps, take a magnafying glass and look for erosion at the piston crown top edge.

There have been a number of failures with the ECI plasma faced rings. As far as I know they have fixed the problem. Might want to give them a call to find out the whole story.

I had the same problem on my 2005 Mattituck built with ECI parts and Cerminil cylinders. Lost compression and oil burn went way up - at least mine went 1400+ hours before I finally pulled the jugs. I found the delaminated rings, and did some research to find out that it was known problem that was never effectively communicated to owners (I stay pretty connected with the aviation community, and am pretty sure I would have heard about it). ECI was no help at all when I called and asked them what they might do, given that they knew about the issue, so I bought four new Lycoming jugs from AERO, and am very happy. I approached an ECI VP at SnF last spring, a couple of months later, and he said that they would have taken care of the problem if I had asked - I told him I had, and was told bupkiss on the phone. He didn't really apologize for that, and I had to go...

I am wondering if the press pass hanging around my neck made him say that they would have taken care of it....

As I have said before, I like ECI parts, I have always liked that the company gave us an alternative to Lycoming and forced Lycoming quality to come up. But their customer service is hit or miss.

I would pester them until you get a VP on the phone to see what they can do for you - this was a KNOWN problem on their part.

Paul

Thank you all for your responses and input.
I suspected over heating also, but there were no other indications.
Have been talking to Aero Sport, where I purchased the cylinders, and told me that there is a history of this problem and referred me to ECI. In talking to ECI, I was advised to fill out there on line warranty form and submit for consideration. Problem is, do I remove other 3 jugs( all 76-78/80) for inspection or just go ahead and re-ring......the AME in me says re-ring

In my experience, I had all four jugs go flat within a very short period of time (after being a 5 hour per quart engine for quite awhile, it went to much worse in a single weekend). All the compression's were fine - then they weren't.

I think the AME in you is right.

Paul

I know a great fellow RV pilot that had the exact same problem in Victoria BC. Give me a pm and I will tell you his name. He might be able to enlighten you to what he did.

I know a great fellow RV pilot that had the exact same problem in Victoria BC. Give me a pm and I will tell you his name. He might be able to enlighten you to what he did.

Thanks for that Norm. Hope your thinking of me as you relax in the Az. sun as I plod through another cold and rainy day

Update

Just recieved word from ECI that they will honor the warranty in this matter. I would also like to say I found ECI very good to work with and appreciate their help in settling this matter in a quick and efficient manner.
Cheers, Hugh

Eci piston broke..

My piston broke I between the rings at 200hrs.. I felt with eci and the covered it.. Just letting y'all know they covered it.

ECI plasma ring failure

I'm another owner that has been through the ECI ring failure process. After I discovered the problem they told me all of my nickel carbide Titan cylinders rings were in the group that failed. I took this opportunity to re cylinder with factory new EXP cylinders and 10/1 Pistons with new everything. The first problem came when I tried to install the plugs and they were too tight so I ran a thread chaser that fixed all but one hole and became stuck. While backing it out all threads were destroyed. ECI told me it was my fault. After a few conversations I thought we had agreed on replacing the errant cylinder with another and call it even. They charged my credit card without my authorization for a new cylinder. After clearing that up I continued to finish and ground run. After 3 5 minute ground runs it became obvious another cylinder had a leaking exhaust valve. After bore scoping and pressure testing the cylinder was pulled back off to find that the exhaust valve had excessive stem to guide clearance (.012) and was not seating on the seat. I have now returned the new cylinder for repair. Does this pattern sound familiar? Has quality control left the building at ECI? We'll see whether they make good on this issue. I'm tired of unplugging and plugging cylinders in.
I'm just saying...........what's next?

Back