What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airplane Tug

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Montgomery Wards Airplane Tug

With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought an old beat up 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.

http://www.puertoricoflyer.com/airplane.html

This is what it started as:
dc7c.jpg

This is what it looks like now.
5acd.jpg

Now I have the only "classic" airplane tug at the airport. It is quite the spectacle when I drive it around with a drink in the cup holder and the beacon flashing away. Even I have to chuckle.

:cool:

Last edited:
Galin. That looks great. Hope there is enough weight on the rear axle to keep it in good traction. I had done similar a few years back and it worked great after I added some tractor weights to the back.

One caution. We remove any and all high-mounted strobe / flashers and masts from our tugs. There have been too many incidents where a tail or wing is whacked by these tall obstacles and with yours being in the rear it can be susceptible to "out of sight, out of mind". Even in everyday maneuvering in tight quarters it helps a lot to have everything as low as possible.

We had a local airport rent-a-cop tell us we had to have warning lights on our tugs mast-mounted and we told him to stick it as we deemed it a safety hazard. That's our same stance on airport badge necklaces. They can stick those too as they can be deadly when working around machinery and airplanes (i.e. lathes, propellers, induction scoops, hangar door hardware etc...).

So as you travel around on your new tug pay attention to whether or not the light mast is a nuisance or not.

Last edited:
Galin. That looks great. Hope there is enough weight on the rear axle to keep it in good traction. I had done similar a few years back and it worked great after I added some tractor weights to the back.

One caution. We remove any and all high-mounted strobe / flashers and masts from our tugs. There have been too many incidents where a tail or wing is whacked by these tall obstacles and with yours being in the rear it can be susceptible to "out of sight, out of mind". Even in everyday maneuvering in tight quarters it helps a lot to have everything as low as possible.

We had a local airport rent-a-cop tell us we had to have warning lights on our tugs mast-mounted and we told him to stick it as we deemed it a safety hazard. That's our same stance on airport badge necklaces. They can stick those too as they can be deadly when working around machinery and airplanes (i.e. lathes, propellers, induction scoops, hangar door hardware etc...).

So as you travel around on your new tug pay attention to whether or not the light mast is a nuisance or not.

THANKS!

It it has plenty of weight on the rear axle when I sit my fat butt down. I have already towed several airplanes with it.

The beacon is required here (towered airport) if you are going to be on an active taxiway or runway. I purposely made mine short enough that I can easily drive under a C150. It stands just slightly above my head when I am driving.

:cool:

Last edited:
I never knew there was a whole market out there for lawn tractor hubcaps. Y'all need to step up your game!

s-l600.jpg
$_62.JPG
$_62.JPG

Now it had a dual exhaust system.

cd55.jpg

Thanks to Bill I am seriously thinking about the chrome rims. :rolleyes:

Now it had a dual exhaust system.

Thanks to Bill I am seriously thinking about the chrome rims. :rolleyes:

You need chrome tips for your exhaust pipes! Polished stainless steel pipe would work!

I seem to remember seeing "spinners" for lawn tractors but couldn't find a picture of them.

Back