What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stuff on the glare shield

Snap-roll

Question for the flying part of this section, would ”smaller” things mounted on the glare shield bother you? The reason for the question is is that I can’t find a good place for a GLD-50 other than on the glare shild and I ’m not that far in the build to be able to judge whether this will drive me nuts in the future or not:confused:

/Johan

Last edited:
pick your poison

Personal preference I suppose.

All the C172 I have flown have stuff on there. the RV9a /RV7a my friends have have multiple GPS pucks or FLARM antennas there...

Personally I don't want any. But I like it simple and clean.

I put my GDL-50 on the left mid-cabin cover..ie, just in front of the fuel selector on the left side of the cockpit. I permanently wired it into my power and mounted remote antennas for GPS and ADSB reception. I'll try and take some photos to illustrate what I'm talking about.

I don?t like anything on the glare shield. Just my personal preference. So I purchased the GDL 52R and have it mounted behind the panel

Hi Mark what antenna did you use for the adsl? I got a 795 that I?m hooking it up to and as I understod the instructions the 795 will supply the GLD with the GPS signal?
Johan

I have some antennas on the glare shield and don't even notice them when I'm flying, and I don't even like tinted glass !

I installed a camera for a few flights and I didn't like it. I don't think you'll notice it after the first flight, and if you do you'll be enjoying the rest of the view so much you won't even care. :D

I know you've got an -8, but i'll answer anyway. On my -6, i have my SPOT on the glareshield, right in the center. USB power cable goes straight down through a hole in it to a USB supply below. It's not very obtrusive, but I admit I don't really like having anything up there.

Even worse, i've been running my Stratux up there as well, but on the passenger side and out of my field of view. I'm planning to move it to the baggage compartment to get it fully out of my view, I may move the SPOT at the same time although i'd like to keep it where I can reach it for manual activation in an emergency.

Hi Mark what antenna did you use for the adsl? I got a 795 that I?m hooking it up to and as I understod the instructions the 795 will supply the GLD with the GPS signal?
Johan

I used one of the antennas usually used for the Stratux receiver, like the NooElec High Gain Antenna. I just bought a set on Amazon and connected it to the receiver using a short length of coax cable

I flew in a -7 and you notice everything on there due to the seating position and you're trying to stretch to see over the glareshield. In the 8 I can see the end of the runway without stretching my neck so the view is vastly different.

I covered the top of my glair shield with Velcro loop fabric. (Feels and looks like a low nap flat black velvet cloth.)

I have three antennas stuck up there and they are unobtrusive, including the pen I keep up there.

The only thing I didn't like was the Dynon SkyView antenna, which was white produced a LOT of glair. The solution was to wrap it in a small piece of matching Velcro fabric.

If I were to build again, I would do exactly the same way.

Last edited:
Question for the flying part of this section, would ?smaller? things mounted on the glare shield bother you? The reason for the question is is that I can?t find a good place for a GLD-50 other than on the glare shild and I ?m not that far in the build to be able to judge whether this will drive me nuts in the future or not:confused:

/Johan

On my -8, I have a vertical card compass mounted on the glare shield, then towards the nose from that I have 1x small gps antenna for a backup GPS and 1x XM antenna for weather. The compass hides the antennas from pilot view and all 3 are below the line of site to the nose so they are not noticeable or distracting during flight (except when specifically looking at the compass for quick heading info).

Skylor

I flew with a small GPS on the glare shield and didn't like it. I now have it mounted with a suction cup to the window, out of view.

Thanks a lot for all interesting feed back, judging from the pic’ of Carl’s I think I can live with the GDL on the glare shield.

It depends...

Long ago I flew the F-4G Wild Weasel. The G model was an upgrade to the E-model and the addition of components required for the mission greatly exceeded the available panel space. The engineers seemed to think nothing of mounting the extra hardware on top of the glare shield. (Engineers seemed to think that a pilot was optional equipment.) We somehow managed despite the clutter.

My RV-8 has one of many GPS pucks as well as a G-meter on the glare shield but they only restrict the view of the nose of the aircraft. The view of the runway during takeoff and landing is not restricted.

F-4G Cockpit

Long ago I flew the F-4G Wild Weasel. The G model was an upgrade to the E-model and the addition of components required for the mission greatly exceeded the available panel space. The engineers seemed to think nothing of mounting the extra hardware on top of the glare shield. (Engineers seemed to think that a pilot was optional equipment.) We somehow managed despite the clutter.

My RV-8 has one of many GPS pucks as well as a G-meter on the glare shield but they only restrict the view of the nose of the aircraft. The view of the runway during takeoff and landing is not restricted.

F-4G Cockpit

I?m glad you posted that Ron - I agree. In almost all of my taildraggers, my eye-line is high enough that anything sitting on the glareshield only blocks my view of the upper cowl.

And yeah - the view (what there is of it) out the front of a lot of older fighters would astound most GA pilots!

Paul

Glare Shield

I hated mine on the glare shield. The instructions for the GDL 50 also warn of being in excessive heat. Mine was definitely hot on the glare shield. I mounted mine under the panel and use the connection to my 796 for the GPS. I had an extra transponder antenna under the plane that was originally used for a Monroe traffic alert box. I bought a transition cable from Amazon for like 15 bucks.
The ADSB reception is 10x better with the antenna.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the remote version. The GDL 50 has an automatic shut off but it seems that if it doesn't connect to something, it wont shut off.

So if you turn on your master for a short time and then off, it doesn't power off.

So when you go to fly, It is down to like 20% battery life.

So if I have to turn on my master for a short time without flying, I just make sure the GDL-50 connects to my bluetooth device.

Kind of a pain but not the end of the world. like I said, since this is the only plane I fly, if I was to do it again, I would buy the remote version

I hated mine on the glare shield. The instructions for the GDL 50 also warn of being in excessive heat. Mine was definitely hot on the glare shield. I mounted mine under the panel and use the connection to my 796 for the GPS. I had an extra transponder antenna under the plane that was originally used for a Monroe traffic alert box. I bought a transition cable from Amazon for like 15 bucks.
The ADSB reception is 10x better with the antenna.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the remote version. The GDL 50 has an automatic shut off but it seems that if it doesn't connect to something, it wont shut off.

So if you turn on your master for a short time and then off, it doesn't power off.

So when you go to fly, It is down to like 20% battery life.

So if I have to turn on my master for a short time without flying, I just make sure the GDL-50 connects to my bluetooth device.

Kind of a pain but not the end of the world. like I said, since this is the only plane I fly, if I was to do it again, I would buy the remote version

Thanks for the input, so you just pulled out the little antenna in the back and hooked it up with an extension/adapter cable to the transponder antenna? I got the ?bare wire? kit with mine so it has a wire connection with the 795 and 12V supply, I guess that will sort out the shut down issue?

[QUOTE, so you just pulled out the little antenna in the back and hooked it up with an extension/adapter cable to the transponder antenna?

Yes, But I had 2 transponder antennas on the belly of my plane. One was not being used. I did not Y it to my active transponder antenna

I moved my Stratus 2 from the glareshield to the baggage compartment due to HEAT. The sun would shine on it and it would shut down from overtemp.

Question for the flying part of this section, would ?smaller? things mounted on the glare shield bother you? The reason for the question is is that I can?t find a good place for a GLD-50 other than on the glare shild and I ?m not that far in the build to be able to judge whether this will drive me nuts in the future or not:confused:

/Johan

I have the Dynon 2020 GPS receiver mounted on my glare shield in a purchased -8, and there are times when there is a very annoying reflection. I would avoid putting anything there if at all possible.

The Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna is white, and anything light-colored on the glareshield will cast an annoying reflection on the windscreen. As I mentioned in Post #14, since the GDL 50 is a dark color, I have found that it doesn't cast reflections on the windscreen of my RV-8.

Put a piece of dull black-colored cloth over the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna and it won't reflect on the windscreen.

I was thinking of placing the SV-GPS Receiver antenna inside the canopy beside the rear canopy rail on top of the turtle deck, any disadvantages with that?

I was thinking of placing the SV-GPS Receiver antenna inside the canopy beside the rear canopy rail on top of the turtle deck, any disadvantages with that?

The Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna is white, and anything light-colored on the glareshield will cast an annoying reflection on the windscreen. As I mentioned in Post #14, since the GDL 50 is a dark color, I have found that it doesn't cast reflections on the windscreen of my RV-8.

Put a piece of dull black-colored cloth over the Dynon SV-GPS-2020 GPS Receiver/Antenna and it won't reflect on the windscreen.

I'll try to cover. Thanks for the suggestions.

I like this location option for the GPS. The only possible concern/objection would be the relatively long wire run to the EFIS.

Where do you get a sheet of Velcro loop fabric? I've only ever seen it in strips.

George
Hey George,

I covered my glare shield with inexpensive black carpet, acrylic stuff, purchased from Pep Boys. Glued it down with 3M spray adhesive. Its "loop" function is even better than Velcro itself; just put the Velcro hook tape on GPS pucks, etc. and they really stay put!

I have several black GPS pucks on the passenger side of the RV7 glareshield. They are fine there but I?m very glad they are not white! The white puck is mounted under the engine cowl similar to the previous poster. They all work great even though all those locations can get some heat.

Bevan

I have several black GPS pucks on the passenger side of the RV7 glareshield. They are fine there but I’m very glad they are not white! The white puck is mounted under the engine cowl similar to the previous poster. They all work great even though all those locations can get some heat.

Bevan

I have three GPS antennas on the glare shield (for GX65, Air Data Computer, and ADSB-in) and one under the cowl (ADSB-out). All that are on the glare shield are black including the one on left (Aero Antenna Tech made for Garmin and I use for the GX65) which came white but i painted it flat black with a non-conductive paint (rustoleum) and has been working great for 14 years. All antennas are relatively low/flat and not in vision line. Below is a picture (please avert your eyes from the steam gauges in the panel unless you are like me and like the classics).

TXBgICkjTxbr6fFm6FzRq84nW9Vgvk7FBvGP7JPvBCMs1TnsLkmEFFW_snpGK-JaKLolTDNqYGVH0DhJCb6vwM6RU4XTlo1aNJXbuZvfCd8GhOg3LOkra5V9el-GuvR024YIV2IPgpVVz8sqK5MSP6wr56MqCYzbQADC3RiZumOpz7idZ245vkzoHda_KA0ykxyfdAdVNZbQkrXs-P6haxQiLEG0LKKUmgzdMLqMTp6sq2-5FrZGopE7phRDUZvmo2g-zY_g4hli_RwISpm1Aq_BW9sGVwgh62vo36myRmGNJJo7vhjQ-6I-1EVMJ_Lke6LwW5Ovx3lseBSRmVPVl8V93_bhwxfixaqN-vICR_sFh0Cu9bm3r3hcHXIpJK0BSleMF-X4asK-C3ikkZ9ESjXkkQsGBxcwV9DqKuLP40CiNh-zf24Q3CdYSFGBLHjsGXWPZicRUiLaPFgVF1ScyoAer0HGJSD_h2GrCgXYzsNZqM3_3xeVm7Y07mg5_mWcT0v5tE5KlKd6ECQnOepCDV07grVFtsAfektTw1OMgumWq_WUFtA5Hq2T8p4MCjNd44y9gJWbu-pyUuu37w9yXHVtFne4wUK59WDBEiZqk5OLB1xx9iLG5Ec0SWgLIJMVFbLWz5IOHbVpJyfICMXLjffckZDd8to46bMyzZbV_oqMOded2agYsSrjr2MYPkHaoTDVmQqsxcs4yjQWZEZBNgRR2j-aaB0U=w800-no

Last edited:
Back