What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CYYJ TO CYQM

FLTENG

Well Known Member
Planning a Xcountry this summer (June/July) and would appreciate any tips on where to over night and/or refuel in close proximity to the airport. Would prefer smaller airports and to stay off the beaten path if possible.

Planning a Xcountry this summer (June/July) and would appreciate any tips on where to over night and/or refuel in close proximity to the airport. Would prefer smaller airports and to stay off the beaten path if possible.

If you are on a budget, get the passport and head south on Day 1. Clear into US then hop to Helena KHLN. Great pilot lounge right under the tower. On Day 2 make it to Hazen ND KHZE there is a hotel like room at the airport. Day 3 fly to Schoolcraft KISQ a clean motel across the street you can see your plane parked from the motel window. All those spots have affordable fuel...

Victoria to Moncton? Really?

so, planning 2, or 3 stops? :D
I've never left town, but some might suggest go east in Canada, and return in the U.S., or some such krazee plan!

If you are on a budget, get the passport and head south on Day 1. Clear into US then hop to Helena KHLN. Great pilot lounge right under the tower. On Day 2 make it to Hazen ND KHZE there is a hotel like room at the airport. Day 3 fly to Schoolcraft KISQ a clean motel across the street you can see your plane parked from the motel window. All those spots have affordable fuel...

Vlad is 100% correct.

I have flown to the Northeast many times from Alaska...taking routes across Canada as well as the northern United States.

Much, much, much easier and less expensive south of your border.

Bob

Moose Jaw can be a good stop;) Right on the TransCanada, 3000 ft paved runway, uncontrolled (watch for the skydivers on weekends!).

I can provide hangar space, a ride into town and even a bed if that suits you, as long as your stop doesn't coincide with with our own holiday trips this summer. Consider yourself invited.

Have Fun

Going east is easier than west. Westbound you can get stuck in Thunder bay for a few days. Fog in the morning and by the time it is legal VFR there will often be lines of big CB's coming from the NW. Steinbach MB north or south are great fuel stops south of Winnipeg. Kenora or Thunder bay next. Follow the highway North of Lake Superior. Wawa, then Northbay, Lachute PQ, Quebec City, then direct over Maine to NB. Lots of deviations are possible, north or south. Just look at an atlas and check the CFS.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you for all the good tips and have all under consideration. Going through the US is a viable option, but must take the $ exchange into consideration first.
Thank you Gerry for your generous offer and may well call you as the time gets closer. My Co-P is an ex Snow Bird tech crewman who was based in 'The Jaw" in the the old days.

I have flown it several times. Weather has always made our decision as to which way we went. It's a definite cost saving to crossing the border, but then you can't say you flew across Canada:D.

We have had to fly north of lake Nipigeon once and even Valdor just to get home. It seams that everything comes in up the coast and from the great lakes area and hits the maritimes all at once. Each time we planned to head south to New York we had to actually go Northern Quebec to get around the weather. Valdor is NOT New York:eek: (Guess its not really northern Quebec but it felt it)

We like Moncton to Carp, then on to Sault St Marie US side for customs. Then take the south shore of Lake Superior. We found it the quickest for a bit more civilization. Be prepared for long periods of radio silence if you are in the woods of Quebec and Ontario, but that is the shortest route overall.

You have to fly the Parry sound area. It was the highlight of all the flying we did down that way.

Back