What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Nickel-Carbide Cylinder Honing

stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
I am looking for recommendations for a cylinder shop that can hone and replace the rings on my 0-360 ECI Nickel-Carbide cylinders. I have only 60 hours on this engine and I am experiencing high oil temperatures and the oil turns dark very quickly. The number 4 bottom plug is always very oily therefore I decided to pull that cylinder and I found the top piston rind stuck in the ring grove. There are some light scorn marks in the cylinder walls and a very little amount of honing groves. The cylinders are out of warranty.

Thanks Steve

. Nickle carbide bores require diamond hone stones for the initial hone and then micro honing to finish. Whether it?s a shop or individual they will need the proper tools and knowledge to perform this process properly. We offer a Nickel Bore Rejuvenation kit (AETKIT01) on our web page that has everything needed to perform this operation. Including complete instructions.
In your case I would advise you to check the piston ring groves for proper clearances and to follow our recommend break-in, run-in procedures also on our web pages.

I have the same cylinders on my engine, ( O-360 A1D) and suggest you inspect rings for delamination. ECI issued an SB concerning this and did pay for new ring installation. However, at approx 150 hours later back to high oil temps and oil consumption. I suspect that new rings did not seat properly due to inadequate/improper cylinder honing. Another possibility is that cykinders where 'over' honed increasing clearances.
Long story short, I bit the bullet and bought new 'steel' cylinders, but not from ECI
Good luck

Back