What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wing tip slicing

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi together,
my 7-wingtip trailing edges are 1/4 to 1/2" above the trailing edges of the ailerons in neutral Position. General fix is to slice the the rear edge of the wing tips and glue them back together to match the ailerons.

Well, i sliced the rear trailing edges but only the inner parts of the wing tips matches with ailerons. the outboard portion of the trailing edge stays where it was.

is it ok to slice also the side of the wing tips until one can move the entire trailing edge down? What did you guy do?

Cheers
Kay

Being fiberglass, you can heat it and lock it in place with clamps or something. It will take a permanent set when the clamps are removed.

Hi together,
my 7-wingtip trailing edges are 1/4 to 1/2" above the trailing edges of the ailerons in neutral Position. General fix is to slice the the rear edge of the wing tips and glue them back together to match the ailerons.

Well, i sliced the rear trailing edges but only the inner parts of the wing tips matches with ailerons. the outboard portion of the trailing edge stays where it was.

is it ok to slice also the side of the wing tips until one can move the entire trailing edge down? What did you guy do?

Cheers
Kay

It is OK to slice the side of the wingtip. My buddy brought his wingtip inline by cutting at the trailing edge and about 6 inches on the side.

First, make sure the aileron is in the correct place. The, take your Drimmel and slice the trailing edge and up the side, along the part line.

With the ailerons locked in place, move the wingtip trailing edge into place and drill some holes in it and cleco it together.

Then lay a couple of layers of fiberglass on the inside to lock it in place. Next is to remove the clecos and fill the slits and holes.

I found cyanoacrylate useful for aligning the tip after slitting. Hold it where you want it, run in some cyanoacrylate and spritz it with accelerator.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 paint is next.

Thanks for the replies! My concern was that i could change the aerodynamic character of the wing tips to much. I am no expert on aerodynamics but if you slice the wing tip and push the trailing edges downwards: the wing tip gets a more "dolphin shape". does this matter?

general consensus is that the entire trailing edge should be level with the aileron?

Mine are bat wing tips but . . .

It is OK to slice the side of the wingtip. My buddy brought his wingtip inline by cutting at the trailing edge and about 6 inches on the side.

I just sliced mine but only because the trailing edge was 3/8" thick and I wanted a more matched profile to the aileron.

Back to slicing - - If the outer edge is not cut it will be hard to get the TE to move. Mine needed about a 3" slice up the side/end.

A dremel was not enough depth to separate completely, I had to use a 4" cutting disc and part of the joint still needed a hack saw blade to finish.

I used Hysol to rebond - - and be sure you take care to not only align but keep the edge straight.

Should go without saying, but the aluminum wedge will need to be removed.

Back