VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 AM

Default Pirep on vinyl

Hi gang! Iím looking to get a pirep from anyone thatís used vinyl on their project. Im planning on painting my entire airplane one solid color and then using vinyl for the accent stripes. It would be interesting to hear from anyone thatís wrapped their entire airplane in vinyl and how itís held up over time, but Iím primarily interested in hearing from people thatís used vinyl for their accent striping. Also, can it be applied to flat area...such as the side of the fuselage or on top of the wings? In other words, how well does it work in an area where the leading edge of the vinyl doesnít have anything to wrap/tuck under? Will air have a tendency to get under it and rip it loose or get air bubbles under it?

Thanks for the input!!

Mark
Old 04-27-2018, 10:41 AM

Mark
Sent you a PM
Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Hi gang! Iím looking to get a pirep from anyone thatís used vinyl on their project. Im planning on painting my entire airplane one solid color and then using vinyl for the accent stripes. It would be interesting to hear from anyone thatís wrapped their entire airplane in vinyl and how itís held up over time, but Iím primarily interested in hearing from people thatís used vinyl for their accent striping. Also, can it be applied to flat area...such as the side of the fuselage or on top of the wings? In other words, how well does it work in an area where the leading edge of the vinyl doesnít have anything to wrap/tuck under? Will air have a tendency to get under it and rip it loose or get air bubbles under it?

Thanks for the input!!

Mark
My RV7A is wrapped (except for the fibreglass parts) and is holding up well after 3 years and 160+ hrs of flight time. It lives is a hangar. It is easy to clean. Bevan.

Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Bevan,

Man, I love that design...thatís a really pretty bird!!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Mark. This is my exact plan also. I've been thinking about it for years. And going to paint this summer. Silver then do vinyl stripes and decals.

I'd love to hear any tips or suggestions you gather along the way.
RV-4 - Sold.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Bevan,

Man, I love that design...thatís a really pretty bird!!
Thanks! Just to be clear. Other than the fiberglass parts, all the white and black is 3m 1080 vinyl applied directly to cleaned alclad. The skins were NOT primered first. The interior is primed but that's another story.

The design was cut with knifeless tape from solid color metallic black and bright white. No sharp tools ever touched the metal skins. This was my first vinyl project. Total weight of the vinyl is calculated to be about 17lb as I recall.

So far so good.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan View Post
Thanks! Just to be clear. Other than the fiberglass parts, all the white and black is 3m 1080 vinyl applied directly to cleaned alclad. The skins were NOT primered first. The interior is primed but that's another story.

The design was cut with knifeless tape from solid color metallic black and bright white. No sharp tools ever touched the metal skins. This was my first vinyl project. Total weight of the vinyl is calculated to be about 17lb as I recall.

So far so good.

Bevan
Bevan,
Iím a little scared to apply vinyl directly to the aluminum and thatís why Iím planning on a good solid basic white paint job and using the vinyl for the graphics. Priming instead of painting may be another option. How long has you vinyl been on? You havenít seen any sighs of corrosion?

LoooFuzz,
Iím planning on bringing everything to a local painter before final assembly and have it sprayed using base coat/clear coat. Iíll probably go with solid white. I think Iíll be able to get a very good paint job and get paint into every crack and crevice, then Iíll bring it back to the hangar for final assembly. I want to approach it like as if I were restoring a classic car. I really like the idea to be able to change things up and apply different graphics if I ever want to.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Moderator, can you please move this thread to the “RV General discussion”?

Thank you.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 04-27-2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: As you wish. (Quick... name the movie!)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:26 PM

Last edited by scrollF4 : Today at 04:20 PM. Reason: As you wish. (Quick... name the movie!)

Wesley? Is that you?

Scroll: Yes, but I prefer Dread Pirate Roberts.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 04-28-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM

I have always had concerns about the vinyl partially letting go inflight and creating excess stress to crucial part of the airframe. Has this ever occurred and is it addressed by the manufacturers of these products?