What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon ADS-B for RV-12!!!

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Noted on Van's Facebook front page that they and Dynon are working on a prototype ADS-B set up which will be offered next year.

Way to go, Van's and Dynon!!! That will make the RV-12 on the cutting edge - advanced over most general aviation aircraft.

This confirms my choice of RV-12.

Noted on Van's Facebook front page that they and Dynon are working on a prototype ADS-B set up which will be offered next year.

Way to go, Van's and Dynon!!! That will make the RV-12 on the cutting edge - advanced over most general aviation aircraft.

This confirms my choice of RV-12.

So I assume it will be an avionics kit extra like the autopilot....worried that if you order the finishing kit and have all the other kits done and then order the avionics kit that you might not be able to get that option?

So I assume it will be an avionics kit extra like the autopilot....worried that if you order the finishing kit and have all the other kits done and then order the avionics kit that you might not be able to get that option?

It will be a very simple to add upgrade/option that can be done easily at any time, (with the exception of installing the ADS-B ant. and running the cable to it... that will be a bit more of a challenge on an finished airplane), but the kit will be designed with retrofit installations in mind.

I would think one option for the D180 -12's would be the Garmin GTX 330 ES transponder to replace the 327? It wouldn't be as inexpensive as the Dynon solution for Skyview I suspect.

Carl

I would think one option for the D180 -12's would be the Garmin GTX 330 ES transponder to replace the 327? It wouldn't be as inexpensive as the Dynon solution for Skyview I suspect.

Carl

The Trig TT31 (same panel size as the 327) or the TT22 (2 1/4 panel mount) are are fully ADS-B compliant and a bit more economical than the 330ES.

What about the WAAS issue for D180 RV12s? Can the Garmin 496 output be tapped for the transponder? Is there any downside to being on 1090 MHz rather than 978 MHz?

Back