What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small error

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
I have made a small mistake. I'm pretty sure it's not a huge problem. Just want some feeback by the RV-gurus.

The outer rib in the left wing is a W-712-R.
When I initially mounted them in the jig, I also used a W-712-R for the right wing.

Now I'm in the process of deburring ribs for the right wing and realise the outer rib for the right wing is a W-712-L and the 2 ribs next to it are W-712-R.

Only problem is that I have in the meanwhile made 2 nice holes to the W-712-R I initially used to attach the rib to the jig. Vans states in the manual the two extra holes will not compromise strength.

I assume these holes will not weaken the rib in the inner ribs either but just want to make sure.

I'm not a Guru, but if Vans indicated there would be no problem...I think there will be no problem.
The Mother Ship is there for definitive advice. Take it as gospel. Regards

I have made a small mistake.

Vans states in the manual the two extra holes will not compromise strength.

A small mistake? OH NO! "Say it ain't so, Joe"!

Jurgen, Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger". I'd venture to say there has never been an RV built with out a "small mistake" or two.

If Van says it's OK, then build on my friend and don't fret it!;)

other holes later...

just think of all the RV's flying with additional holes in the end ribs for things like, magnetometer mounts, landing light HID or strobe power packs, grounding screw holes for local grounds, adel clamp screw holes, etc. build on my good man. your RV is .000000001 kg lighter now. good weight reduction plan that you planned all along!

Back