What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX330 vs. Navworx ADS-B (w/ gtx 327) for traffic

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I?m looking for feedback or thoughts on the above choice. I?ve reviewed Tim O?s excellent website and comments. Like to hear any other thoughts or opinions.

I live in S. Florida where ADS-B is supposed to have good coverage. Once flying, I believe 90% or more of my flying will be east coast of USA. My main interest is traffic awareness. Pretty even mix of controlled and non controlled airports.

I guess the choices are as the title indicates. Another option is to go ahead and get the 330 and add the Navworx unit. Like everything else, this adds to cost but would presumably cover most traffic situations in the US. I don't want to have to mount anything additional on the glareshield.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Garmin 330 for TIS traffic

We have the 330 mated to a 430 for traffic, in our shared Lance. The traffic feature is nice, here in the Tampa area. But, as you know, TIS is only good in a couple of dozen "major" traffic areas, and is going away, someday. The 330 is significantly more costly than the 327.

I really don't know anything about the ADS-B equipment but understand that there is still only limited coverage.

Could you provide a link to Tim's website. I don't have a good handle on the capabilities of the equipment you listed but I would echo the point made about TIS going away so planning on using it may be wasted money.

I am adamantly opposed to ADS-B mandate for GA aircraft BUT if you are in an area where you can receive ADS-B IN, you may be well served. Reportedly it shows ADS-B and Mode C/S aircraft.

You need to see if you must still have a conventional transponder even if you install ADS-B Out capability. I think you do as it stands now but could be wrong.

I minimize aircraft issues by flying high!

That just makes you not care about the traffic. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

Actually that is not true. I use flight following and above 10,000 feet MSL people should be using transponders. I get call-out of traffic but it is rare at my cruising altitudes.

Down low and in the haze I can see the benefit but that type flying is rare for me as well.

Wouldn't fly w/o it!!

Five years ago when I was planning my panel, I was going to go with a 327. My neighbor, 7 builder and Phoenix Tracon operator recommended the 330. His comment was, "you wouldn't even push your plane out without some form of traffic awareness, if you could see the screen on a weekend."

I was warned about the eventual decommissioning of the TIS system. I am aware of there are a few areas that are not functional, but most of the major city areas are still functional.

My thoughts, I wouldn't fly without it. I live under the busy Class Bravo of Phoenix. Without question, this was the NUMBER 1 best move I made in building my plane. I believe it will be many more years before TIS is gone and ADB-S is completely functional.

On my first flight with the system operational I avoided a plane that showed on the screen that I couldn't see because of the setting sun. I altered course slightly right. As the plane came into view it was only 100 feet or so to my left. We had been on collision course. I have many more story's. Remember the RV aircraft is fast and is covering a lot of ground. Any aid to safety is worth the money.

So, don't let anyone tell you that you are wasting money. If you fly in a busy area served by an approach radar, you are crazy if you don't put in a traffic system. We have Skywatch in the medical helicopters I fly. Same deal, I can't imagine flying without this.

Garmin is supposed to have a plug an play replacement for the 330, so my money hasn't been wasted at all.

Ok, a little research helps.

1) GTX 330 gets traffic from TIS capable radars as shown here:

http://www8.garmin.com/aviation/tis.jsp

What is not obvious is the TIS coverage area at pattern altitude and above around TIS radars.

2) NavWorx and GTX 327 (actually maybe just the NavWorx) get TIS-B (via ADS-B In). Current and planned coverage here:

http://tinyurl.com/2j74wh

In some places neither system is available. Some places have TIS but no TIS-B. TIS-B coverage is planned to be almost nationwide by 2013

So based on this info there seems to be a current advantage in the east and soon nationwide to TIS-B (NavWorx type system).

While I think I read that there may be an upgrade to the GTX 330 to provide ADS-B Out capability (could be wrong), that may or may not provide ADS-B In TIS-B capability.

With the NavWorx/GTX327 option, you are looking at adding a ADS-B Out transmitter in the future unless the GTX 327 has an upgrade path to ADS-B Out.

A lot of unknowns but hopefully correct assessment of the pros/cons as I think it stands. Obviously verify.

Note: TIS and TIS-B are different sources of traffic info.

Last edited:
Actually that is not true. I use flight following and above 10,000 feet MSL people should be using transponders. I get call-out of traffic but it is rare at my cruising altitudes.

Down low and in the haze I can see the benefit but that type flying is rare for me as well.

Sorry Ron, my ill attempt at a pun...(other kind of "high")

Confusing Technology

One thing I know I want is traffic awareness, the confusion is how best to do it. I'm probably 6 months from committing money for any of the panel of my RV8. I'm anxiously waiting this years Oshkosh announcements and to follow the lead of you guys smarter than me.

What EFIS/MFD/GPS combined with which transponder or PCAS/ADSB receiver/transmitter requires the least amount of components, lowest cost, best panel space usage, etc. ?

No answers required, I'm thinking out typing and hope to follow this discussion an keep learning.

Bud, part of your answer lies in knowing where each system has coverage. And the future of each system.

My guess...note guess, is that ADS-B based systems are the future and will provide the best coverage in years to come, although maybe not today.

To get ADS-B traffic (TIS-B), you need ADS-B IN capability. That seems to be what the NavWorx system does. Might be others... I don't track it closely.

Back