What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Alt

DickF

I noticed that my APRS track is not showing the altitude. That is, the points indicate speed and direction, but not altitude. In looking at old flights, I noticed that the Alt stopped showing at the time I switched the GPS interface from a 396 to a 496. Any thoughts as to what I should look for to correct this?

Thanks

I noticed that my APRS track is not showing the altitude. That is, the points indicate speed and direction, but not altitude. In looking at old flights, I noticed that the Alt stopped showing at the time I switched the GPS interface from a 396 to a 496. Any thoughts as to what I should look for to correct this?

Thanks

2 items to check.
First on the aprs.fi site, there are new preferences options. Verify you have altitude checked.

Next, verify the configuration of you transmitter has the send altitude checked.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of. Since your getting the speed and direction, Id suspect the transmitter settings.

Best

2 items to check.
First on the aprs.fi site, there are new preferences options. Verify you have altitude checked.

Next, verify the configuration of you transmitter has the send altitude checked.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of. Since your getting the speed and direction, Id suspect the transmitter settings.

Best

Also make sure your 496 is configured to send all GPS sentences. Sounds like the sentence with the altitude data may not be making it to the tracker.

Thanks - that did it..

I had checked the interface selection on the 496 to be sure it was the same as the 396, but I didn't realize there was a menu behind the primary screen. Setting the speed to normal and turning on all the "sentences" did it.

Thanks again -

Back