What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

News from Lycoming on auto fuel use in IO/O-360

I realize this is an old thread, but just came across it. I work at a "Drone" Air Force Base... although we prefer the term "RPA" (Remotely Piloted Aircraft). We're still using 100LL in our aircraft and no plans I'm aware of to change to anything else. Also, it's worth mentioning these aircraft can't land just anywhere for a number of reasons, not the least of which is FAA restrictions on where we can operate. So, don't expect an entrepreneur hoping to sell fuel to the DOD to make this fuel availabile at your local FBO.

MQ-1 uses a rotax power plant though.

In Southern California, I've never seen anything higher than 91 octane mogas. Interesting how Lycoming has changed their position on this after all these years.

There were some in NorCal, or, rather, in Central Valley. I saw 100 octane gas in Tray and Modesto. Not sure who bought it, but it was in pumps.

I live in Texas now and the Pure Gas is readily available. Unfortunately the top octane is only 91.

Back