What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine question

galt1074

I need a little advice on engines. To be honest, I'm probably way to early in the process to be thinking about this but this feels like too good an opportunity to pass up.
Is there anything I need to think about before buying an IO-360ES? I've got a chance to buy a brand new one, still in the crate for WELL below market price.

Greg

I need a little advice on engines. To be honest, I'm probably way to early in the process to be thinking about this but this feels like too good an opportunity to pass up.
Is there anything I need to think about before buying an IO-360ES? I've got a chance to buy a brand new one, still in the crate for WELL below market price.
Greg

Well the biggest concern for me would be that I believe that the IO-360-ES is a 6 cylinder Continental and would not be well suited for an RV-7.

size

Mel,

That is my concern. Understanding total displacement is the same, I don't know if the dimensions of the engine increase to the point that it won't fit in the cowl anymore.
There are certainly enough engine options to make one's head spin before you even start considering spinning a prop.

Greg

Mel,
That is my concern. Understanding total displacement is the same, I don't know if the dimensions of the engine increase to the point that it won't fit in the cowl anymore.
There are certainly enough engine options to make one's head spin before you even start considering spinning a prop.
Greg

Besides size, the Continental is quite heavy.

Mel,

Greg

Greg,
To use a six cylinder Continental engine you need to rethink your build. Every aspect of Van?s firewall forward support would be gone. In short, you would start with this engine and build the airplane around it. You would weld up your own custom engine mount, weld up custom exhaust, redo most of the cowl, etc.

Van?s assumes the builder uses the recommended engine, down to the specific configuration. If you follow these guidelines you will have some assurance that stuff will fit. Van?s cannot support every permutation of engine and engine accessories that a builder might select.

Carl

Thank you

Thank you both for the excellent advice. Obviously not the engine I should be looking at.
I'm so early in the build process and I'm already gaining so much from these forums.
You guys are awesome

Greg

Back