What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Quickly Does OSH Homebuilt Camping Fill Up?

Gash

Well Known Member
I'm flying the RV-8 for it's first trip to Oshkosh. It will also be my 12-year old daughter's first time flying in to Oshkosh. I only have experience camping in the North 40 with my old spam can. This will be my first time in HBC, so it's a bit new to me. If I get there on Sunday around 3pm do you think I'll be able to find a parking spot, or should I plan to arrive earlier in the day? Thanks everybody.

Lots

Lots of room. I usually arrived on saturday and in the last couple years monday seems to be the big arrival day. I have not personally seen it full. You should be just fine. A suggestion, get the ride out the back 40 to the gate and go for a nice meal somewhere sunday pm. Really hard getting food and drink inside the compound. Have fun. (bug spray and padded mat too!)

True statement about food on Sunday! I remember my first time arriving on a Sunday a few years ago. I felt really dumb for not considering the food situation before AirVenture was officially open. Lesson learned. :)

Is the new cantina inside the N40 open and serving food and beverages on Sunday?

Also, there's the SOS Brothers beer tent (food served too, really good burgers) just west of the gates on Waukau Av. Not sure if they're open on Sunday but you might call the phone number on their website to check (http://www.sosbrosbeerventure.com/index.html)

Is the new cantina inside the N40 open and serving food and beverages on Sunday?

Also, there's the SOS Brothers beer tent (food served too, really good burgers) just west of the gates on Waukau Av. Not sure if they're open on Sunday but you might call the phone number on their website to check (http://www.sosbrosbeerventure.com/index.html)

That's the best place around to spend some time and money. Reasonable prices and beautiful girls!!

SOS not open

SOS was not open sunday. Blimp up, lights on. LONG WALK, Like an oasis over the horizon...we walked we walked some more...NO LOVE.

Even tried the coolers (maybe they forgot to lock them and they are full of cool beers)....BIG CHAINS. Ask me how I know. Almost started crying....wanted BEER and burger so badly. :)

If I get there on Sunday around 3pm do you think I'll be able to find a parking spot, or should I plan to arrive earlier in the day? Thanks everybody.
You'll have no trouble getting a spot on Sunday (or Monday for that matter) but 3PM Sunday is just about the busiest arrival time of the week (assuming normal weather.) Most of the horror stories that you've heard about flying to Oshkosh come from around this time. If you can do it, I'd adjust your plan to arrive early (before 9AM or so) or late (after 6PM) and avoid the rush.

If you ask my daughter, she will want to arrive right in the thick of it at 3pm. I always have a deal with the kids when flying into OSH that I give them a quarter for every airplane they can spot before I do. The game starts about 10 miles before Ripon until the base turn. They put tick marks on a sheet of paper, and then cash in with me when we get on the ground. This has become a fun family tradition, and it helps to teach the kids to have their heads on a swivel when we're flying.

Last year I arrived on Sunday at 15 minutes after noon and almost had the whole sky to myself. There were only 2 or 3 planes in front of me at Ripon, and maybe one or two behind me. They were asking each of us over the radio which runway approach we wanted.

sat

is showing up on Sat the 27th too early? I actually thought that it ran over both weekends. Ive never been there on the first weekend but the (only) three times ive been there I've arrived on Thursday and left Sunday.

My opinion is that Saturday is too early, unless you're with a group and have other plans already. When I arrive on Sunday, everything is closed down and there's not much going on other than wandering around and meeting the neighbors. Oh yeah, and swatting mosquitos :D

My opinion is Friday before the opening is perfect time to arrive. I may be biased because that's when we've gone in the last two years. Get camp set up, go watch airplanes land all weekend long, find a ride to go off the field for a good meal. I like it. Then when all the crowds move in you can watch the circus.

I've only been to Oshkosh once, 2012. Being a first timer Friday afternoon was a great time to fly in, get set up, and watch everyone show up. Like others said food is scarce but the Red Barn grocery store on the grounds is open. A bit of a walk but the cold beer and food was well worth it. Watch out for golf carts, they're buzzing around everywhere as vendors are frantically trying to get setup. Don't try to walk and see everything on the first couple of days because you'll want to do it again when it starts to really fill up. Approach vendors cautiously as you could get snapped at. "Sir....can't you see that we're not open yet!!!!" Sheesh, sorry, I just flew an airplane across the country that I built in my garage for four years to the holy land I've only dreamt of. (I thought to myself) I guess I understand, this is their day job. Anyway Friday is a very laid back easy time to arrive. Probably a little early though if you've got some under your belt.

Last edited:
Friday

I like to fly in on Friday. The mass arrivals happen on Saturday, I think? Fun to watch.
We will be in HBC with the 'Borrowed Horse'

Food availability

From listening in on a couple of EAA conference calls, the food situation will be much better this year. Bigger selection, supposedly better prices AND there should be many open on Saturday and definitely Sunday. This was apparently a big grip with Vendors and other support people setting up and not having food availability.

Don't think SOS was open on Sunday. Sleepy Hollow might be open and they have great food. Lets hope for better all situation for early arrivals.

Anyone know if some/all of the buses will be running Saturday? We plan on arriving Saturday (in a rented Archer) and hopefully going out for some provisions for the week. It'd be nice to take the bus to the grocery store instead of walking...

On the other hand, good to know that weekend food options won't be so bad. :)

We plan on arriving Saturday (in a rented Archer) and hopefully going out for some provisions for the week. It'd be nice to take the bus to the grocery store instead of walking...

A subject matter expert suggested taking a cab from near the bus stop close to the main entrance.

We usually arrive late Saturday afternoon. Early enough to get tied down, set up camp and find dinner at one of the nearby local restaurants. Then rack out early after a long day.
Sunday is good for making the supply run to the supermarket and/or Target, visiting around the campground, purchasing the admission wristband(s) and paying the campground fees.

Friday or Saturday Arrival.

Are there folks to direct you to HBC on these early days. I have never flow into OSH and only attended once. I like the idea of a Saturday arrival and then watch the arrivals of others on Sunday.

Cheers
Mike

Are there folks to direct you to HBC on these early days.

Yes. We will have at least a few volunteers out starting on Thursday to handle to very early arrivals. The arrival NOTAM goes into effect Friday morning, however because arrivals are so light it is more of a training day. The full staff of flagmen will not be in place until Saturday, and prior to that ground control will direct you as normal, just tell them you want to go to the homebuilt area.

Yes. We will have at least a few volunteers out starting on Thursday to handle to very early arrivals. The arrival NOTAM goes into effect Friday morning, however because arrivals are so light it is more of a training day. The full staff of flagmen will not be in place until Saturday, and prior to that ground control will direct you as normal, just tell them you want to go to the homebuilt area.

Jeff mentions a training day. Be aware that Friday-Saturday may also be a training day for controllers new to OSH. Obviously the FAA sends its best, but even the best may have never dealt with six on downwind, two on base, and two on final to spot landings, most of whom look alike, and none responding by radio ;)

Last year we got an obvious new guy. In the middle of the above some clown in a Colt cut the pattern and things got interesting.

Now that you will be in HBC, you can take advantage if the HBC Wagon that will give you a ride from your airplane to anywhere on the grounds, like the Red Barn for groceries or over to the fence to get to the restaurants. The phone phone to arrange a pickup is (929) 230-7906 or at least that is what it was last year. If you ask when you register they should be able to give you the business card with the number. Enjoy the show!

Jeff mentions a training day. Be aware that Friday-Saturday may also be a training day for controllers new to OSH. Obviously the FAA sends its best, but even the best may have never dealt with six on downwind, two on base, and two on final to spot landings, most of whom look alike, and none responding by radio ;)

Last year we got an obvious new guy. In the middle of the above some clown in a Colt cut the pattern and things got interesting.

If EAA is paying over half-a-mil to the FAA for controllers this year, they'd better not be sending rookies! :D

I actually was referring to the controllers, although it is also a training day for the volunteers as well.

The homebuilt welcome wagons are one of the best kept secrets on the field, although they do not want it to be a secret! There are usually 2 or 3 of them on duty at a time and their mission is to ferry folks around the field. However, they are volunteers like the rest of us, and are usually not operational until Sunday and maybe Saturday. To fill the gap for the early (Thursday and Friday) arrivals, we've been known to leave one of the 6 place golf carts laying around by the camping HQ building with the keys in it. You didn't hear that from me:) but we need it back by Saturday.

HBC is the best. I love the morning coffee at the picnic tables talking to all the other campers about their planes and traveling. Hauling my swag and purchases around in a little luggage cart I bring in my 9A. Holding the tail down in 60mph winds and sideways rain while watching tents, camping gear and Airdrome airplanes float by...
I'll be arriving on Sat evening or Sunday morning... FUNFUNFUN!

Can you "sneak" into HBC?

I am in Michigan for a couple months and hope to drive on over to AV for a day or two. I want to be where all the fun is. If I don't fly in, is it possible to camp in the HBC area? I know a couple people flying in - maybe I could stay by their plane?

I can neither confirm nor deny that the "one tent per airplane campsite" rule is not very strictly enforced in HBC. Who is to say that you didn't fly in with the friend you are camping with?

last year we were 2 tents by my plane. I could have bunked with my trip-mate but I'm glad I didnt. I can rely on my micro 1.5 man tent and waterproofing my gear but my poor bud had one of those cheap walmart versions and got soaked.
anyway... no hassles from anyone. I guess just keep them in close to the plane and be courteous.

I can neither confirm nor deny that the "one tent per airplane campsite" rule is not very strictly enforced in HBC. Who is to say that you didn't fly in with the friend you are camping with?

Don't plan I getting a lot of sleep, with the heli's flying over every couple of minutes during the day and SOS playing music until midnight.
I'm all set I just got my new tent, larger plane = larger tent. :)

Don't plan I getting a lot of sleep, with the heli's flying over every couple of minutes during the day and SOS playing music until midnight.
Yeah, those EAA helicopter pilots can be real pains in the butt. Whatever you do, don't leave your beer cooler unattended around them.

I'm all set I just got my new tent, larger plane = larger tent. :)

Earplugs are your friend. Seriously, after a day of walking and a couple of beers, I go to sleep easily and sleep until the tent begins warming up after sunrise.

Back